Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle Discussion

Hello everyone and welcome back to another chapter in my Godzilla Discussion Page. I know it has been awhile but I am back now so brave yourself because in this chapter I will be discussing the second film in the Godzilla Anime trilogy known as Godzilla City on the Edge of Battle.

Yeah I know that this is long overdue since the movie came out awhile ago. But, I really had to sit on this one and well... I was pretty disappointed in it.

(Don't be fooled by this epic image

(Don't be fooled by this epic image. As cool as it is it's hardly in the movie).

Plot:
So the plot of this one takes place immediately after the last movie in this anime trilogy (where Godzilla came in and decimated everything in a pretty badass manor). Then he well ugh disappears for most of the movie until at the end where he finally does something.... (More on that later). The rest of the movie focuses on Haruo and him working with a tribe known as the Houtua at which point they eventually discover that the tribe is using weapons laced in this stuff called nanometal. Which leads then to believe that if the nanometal survived then surely Mechagodzilla could still be around. Much to their surprise though Mechagodzilla has now become Mechagodzilla City. It's from this point on where Godzilla gets awakened and one of the characters Gali-Gu fused with the nanometal in order to defeat Godzilla. Haruo disagrees and basically from there they fight Godzilla in a quick battle. The city ends up getting destroyed. Yuko who is Haruo's well... she's there is fused with the nanometal and Haruo screams as the movie ends. Oh and Ghidorah gets mentioned in the post credit scene.

Characters:

I could care less about any of these people

I could care less about any of these people. I have trouble remembering any of their names so i had to look them up again before writing this. The only one i somewhat remember is Haruo because they say his name half a dozen times and he's always pissed off. None, of these people are very interesting. Characters like Metphies from the last movie are just there to spout exposition. The natives or Houtua don't do much either. They drag this movie down and I don't care what happens to them. When I should be getting emotional at the end of the movie when Haruo loses Yuko I instead found myself laughing (mostly do to Haruo's crying. It sounded funny). But, that's unintentional comedy as opposed to actually being funny.

Godzilla and the Action:
The only cool bit of action happens at the very end and while Godzilla looks cool in his glowing form it's just too little too late. Godzilla was sorely lacking throughout this entire movie. He's in less than 6 minutes in this 1 hour and 40 minute movie.  That is unacceptable in my eyes. The video below shows all of his entire screen time throughout the entire film..... its cool but not enough.

Overall Thoughts:
You can tell by how I sort of gave up talking about this movie halfway through the plot synopsis that I didn't particularly care for it. This film was very boring and I struggled to stay awake during watching it. Godzilla is hardly in it at all. Mechagodzilla is completely wasted. He should have just turned into a giant Mechagodzilla and fought Godzilla. What was the point of Mechagodzilla in all of this if you're just not going to use it in a meaningful way!? I thought it would have been cool if the whole city transformed so Godzilla has something to fight. Do something creative with this city. Make an army of mechas to fight. Do something! This movie also suffers from the same problem as the last movie. The main Godzilla doesn't do anything throughout most of the movie until the last 5 minutes where he finally does something cool and then the movie ends. It's the same as the last film. What the hell!? This whole anime trilogy didn't really need to be a trilogy. It should have just been condensed down substantially into 2 movies at the most. Granted at the time I'm writing this the 3rd film hasn't come out yet. But, I'm betting that Godzilla and Ghidorah aren't going to fight that much in the movie and that we will be in for another slog fest. I hope I'm wrong but based on the first 2 films that's what I'm afraid will happen. Godzilla deserves better then this anime trilogy. It hurts to say that but it's true.

I just really hope that Godzilla: The Planet Eater really delivers because if it doesn't this anime trilogy will go down as a unique experiment

I just really hope that Godzilla: The Planet Eater really delivers because if it doesn't this anime trilogy will go down as a unique experiment. But, nothing special for years to come. Anyways, what are all of your thoughts on this movie and this anime trilogy in general? Do you like or dislike it so far. Let me know in the comments below where we can continue to discuss this further. Once again thank you all for reading this and I hope you all have a Wonderful Day!