Destroy All Monsters Discussion

Here we go! It's time to talk about Destroy All Monsters! This was originally supposed to be the big finale to the Godzilla series and also to the other Toho monster movies in this huge "shared universe" of monster movies that began with Godzilla (1954). So, before we get into the plot let's break down the roster of monsters in this movie!

Godzilla

Mothra

Rodan

Gorosaurus (Who made his first appearance in the Toho movie King Kong Escapes).

Manda (Who made his first appearance in Atragon.

Anguirus

Kumonga

Minya (or Minilla)

Varan (Who made his first appearance the movie varan the unbelievable).

King Ghidorah

Baragon (Made his first appearance in Frankenstein conquers the world).

Whew what a roster of monsters. Ok so let's talk about the plot of this movie.

The year is 1999. The Y2K is in full effect and.. ok they don't mention the Y2K. But, this movie is set at the end of the 20th century. Which technically puts this movie at the end of the Showa timeline. At this point the world has contained all the monsters on the planet to a place they call Monsterland and people live in safety. Then a bunch of these aliens known as the Kilaaks come in and take control over the monsters. See phot below of the Kilaaks.

Soon the monsters begin destroying places all over the world

Soon the monsters begin destroying places all over the world. The humans have to break control over the monsters and eventually we get to a point in the movie where all the monsters show up in one place and have a final
battle with the one and only King Ghidorah.

The final battle is a Kaiju fans dream. It's so much fun seeing all these monsters come together to fight King Ghidorah and kick his ass.

In the end the monsters decimate King Ghidorah and the the Kilaaks are defeated. The final shot of the movie just shows all the monsters standing in place. If that were the end of the series then it would be a great way to go out on.

Ok before I close out on this let's get into some of my own personal nit picks of the film. I'm not going to lie. The stuff with the human characters is really boring. Often times when I watch this movie I'll want to fast forward through all of it. Not to mention the Kilaaks aren't very good villains. They're IMO the blandest of all the alien Godzilla villains in the series. They're just not very interesting nor do they do anything interesting outside of some mind control....

But, if you're able to sit through the stuff with them and once you get into the Kaiju action. You should leave your viewing experience very satisfied. The monster battles are pretty cool. However, some of the monsters get the short end of the stick and disappear in the finale. It's kind of disappointing in that regard as some of the monsters like Varan who had his own movie and hasn't appeared onscreen outside of stock footage in Godzilla: Final Wars since his appearance in Destroy All Monsters. It's a real bummer.

Anyways, I feel like I've said what's needed to have been said. I know this discussion hasn't been very long but I don't have too much to say about this movie. Watch it for the awesome monster battles and I'd say to go ahead and skip the other stuff. If you want we can discuss this movie more in the comments. Well that's going to wrap it up for this section. In the next update to this we will be discussing Godzilla's Revenge....... Oh boy I can't wait....... Well have a nice day everyone. See you next time!