15

The optometrist had said my eyes hadn't changed, which was a good thing on my part, dad had transfered me to his insurance, so I now have multiple pairs of glasses with my prescription. We got a few braces for my knee, as well as that prescription that I have to take every day, twice a day. Its a small tablet, the side affects are drowsiness, nausea, occasional vomiting, blurred vision and fatigue. Right now, I've only felt nausea, even though I've only taken them for a day and a half, its only slight though. I knew dad and maybe even Mr. Massi were going to give Ms. Doris hell for not getting my prescription that I needed, it wasn't even that expensive, it was like thirty dollars without insurance and fifteen with.

Right now, I was sitting at the pool, my legs in the cold water as I watched the twins mess around in the water, Mr. Massi was sitting at one of the tables, drinking some lemonade as he watched over us along with Mr. Knight. Nala and Snowball were on their own floaty just chilling in the sun and I let out a small sigh as I slipped in the water, kicking off the wall and going under. I had taught myself how to swim when I was six, Ms. Doris would take all of us to the public pool every summer and that's how I taught myself.

Over time, I had learned to hold my breath longer, the more I swam, I was always able to get away from the world whenever I swam, other than reading or painting, or even drawing. Resurfacing, the sound of the back door opening filled my ears, causing me to turn around, the blob of Mr. Massi getting up and walking over to me, crouching down and handing me my glasses, causing me to smile slightly as a thank you. I put them on, looking towards the door, seeing Ms. Doris with a clipboard and pen in hand.

"Hi, Kita" she said with a smile "how have you been?"

Narrowing my eyes slightly, I pulled myself out of the pool, Mr. Massi walking back over to me with a black towel, wrapping it around my shoulders as I stood up,

"Thank you" I mumbled, earning a nod from him

"And you are?" She asked Mr. Massi

"Nikolai Massi" he replied, walking back to the table to get my brace

He walked over to me, gesturing for me to out my foot on his thigh and I did as silently said, one of my hands holding the towel over my shoulders while I placed the other on his shoulder for balance, letting him put the brace on my left knee, tight but not too tight, enough to where its comfortable.

"What happened?" She asked no one in particular, concern in her voice

"Want me to tell her?" Dad asked me, causing me to lower my head slightly, giving him a small nod "we went to the doctors the other day" causing me to look at him "he asked how her prescription was doing"

Looking at Ms. Doris, I saw her stiffen slightly at the mention of it, causing me to roll my eyes slightly as I walked to the table, fixing the towel to where it wrapped around my waist, Nala letting out a small bark. Mr. Massi got the pup and the bunny gently setting them on my lap and sitting down in front of me and pouring me a glass of lemonade,

"If she hadn't taken her prescription any longer, she would've needed surgery for a knee replacement" dad added "a sixteen year old girl doesn't need that kind of pain in her life let alone a thirteen year old who had her knee popped out of place by her parents!"

"Is that what she told you?" She asked him, "I should have told you this . . . she comes up with stories. She's troubled and-"

"That's bullshit!" He snapped, causing me to flinch slightly "that's bullshit a you know it. Why would she make up the story of getting beaten by the two people who were supposed to take care of her? Why would she? She has no reason to. I know she doesn't care for attention like you do"