Chapter 4: The Naive

"Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for Niel Murillo..." the host was saying. It was Christmas day, and many people gathered at the plaza. They all screamed and cheered for the awkward little boy who was taking his steps at the stage. Timid he may seem, but this farmer's son right here was known for his amazing voice. He was participating at an amateur singing contest, ready to take home the gold yet again. He smiled and waited for the music to play. Then, his angelic voice filled everyone's ears.

Just a smile and the rain is gone
Can hardly believe it (yeah)
There's an angel standing next to me
Reaching for my heart...
I know that I'll be okay now
This time, it's real

I lay my love on you
It's all I want to do
Every time I breathe I feel brand new
You open up my heart
Show me all your love, and walk right through
As I lay my love on you...

The crowd cheered even louder when he was done. They were all beaming. Niel quickly left the stage. As he took his last step, a random woman grabbed his hand. The woman was probably aged forty, and she looked like a professional. She said,

R: Niel Murillo?

Niel nodded.

R: Hi, I am Rose Amarylles from Lopez Art School Manila. Ahm,

Rose stopped. She looked at Niel who was staring at her blankly.

W: Okay. I'll just speak Cebuano. (In Cebuano) Niel, nakita namin ang mga videos mo sa YouTube. At masasabi namin na magaling ka. Yung mga performances mo sa fiesta at pag-guest mo sa radio stations ay sobrang nakakamangha. Bakit... Bakit hindi ka nag-auaudition sa mga reality singing competitions?

Niel laughed.

N: (In Cebuano) A...Ayaw po kasi nina Mama. Sabi nila okay na ko sa mga pista-pista.

R: Oh, okay. Hmmm... aayaw pa ba sila kung kami na mismo lalapit sa inyo?

N: Ah? Ano po ibig ninyong sabihin?

R: Heto ID ko. Sabi ko nga galing ako sa Lopez Art School Manila. Siguro naririnig mo iyon ano?

N: O-opo. Syempre naman po.

R: Ngayon, nagscout kasi kami ng mga estudyante na may angking galing sa musika. At isa ka sa napipili namin, Niel. Gusto kang bigyan ng management ng scholarship. Kasi pag nag-aral ka doon, mahahasa mo pa yang talento mo at matutulungan ka ng school para mag-debut. Magiging professional singer ka.

N: Ho?

Niel had his eyes widened.

R: Minsang offer lang to, Niel. Gusto mo ba?

Kung ayos sa iyo at nakahingi ka na ng permiso sa magulang mo, heto ang calling card ko.

Siya nga pala, magsubmit ka na rin ng audition video mo sa website ng school namin. Sige, mauna na ako. May iba pa akong kakausapin. Basta, tumawag ka lang o email dyan sa website.

And just like that, the woman left Niel dumbfounded. He was having a hard time to digest the words she has said. But excitement filled him in. This was his dream. He has long wished to study at Lopez Art School (LAS), the biggest performing arts school in the country. He beamed and jumped because of joy. Here he was, standing at the backstage, but his mind was definitely drifting somewhere. His day was peppered with good news, not only he has been offered a scholarship but also his name is being called for the first prize in the singing contest. Niel thought, "May igaganda pa ba ang araw na to? Ang swerte ko!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"HINDI!" his mom yelled as soon as he relayed the good news. His family gathered at the table with the new trophy as the centerpiece.