Chapter 9: Hidden Talents

"You're late!" Sir Louie scolded when Niel, Ford, and Russell went to class twenty minutes late. It was already 7:50 in the morning. Ford bowed,

F: Sorry po, Sir. Sorry.

Then Sir Louie said with a sigh,

L: Sige, excused this time. Di na mauulit sa susunod, ha?

The three nodded.

L: Mukhang di na kayo kailangang mamili ng puwesto. Dali, upo na.

Once the three settled, Sir Louie continued with his lecture,

L: Okay, class. Now, as I was saying, close your eyes. I want you to think of the significant things that happened to your lives. It doesn't matter whether it is happy, sad (pauses)... or what? Any feeling or emotion na naramdaman ninyo noon or nararamdaman ninyo ngayon. Right now, (pauses) in love ba kayo?

The class giggled. Sir Louie continued,

L: Okay, I take that as a yes. (laughs) Hmmm... How about missing someone? Now, guys. I want you to hold on to this particular emotion. Absorb it. Okay. Do you feel it? Are you letting it fill you up? Okay, now open your eyes.

The class have followed Sir Louie's words.

L: Guys, what I want you to do right now is write. Write a poem or anything. From the emotion na naramdaman ninyo kanina, make a story out of it. That is. That is the first step to this whole songwriting thing. You see,

He began to pace the room.

L: We are artists. Musicians are artists. Just like how painters have their paintbrushes... (pauses) to mix with colors and hues... creating a scene. And just like how the writers have their pens... (pauses) playing with words... to create a world of their own. Then we, musicians, songwriters... have our emotions and our natural rhythm... to create a song.

He stopped pacing at the back and turned to the student who had his eyes closed. He said,

L: And if we only permit our emotions and not letting SLEEP get in the way... Right, guys? If only we don't SLEEP in class... MR. CONSTANCIA!

He shouted. Joao stumbled. His eyes fluttered open. Sir Louie turned red and crossed his arms,

L: Joao, what are you doing?

But Joao didn't respond. Instead, he stood up and turned towards the door.

L: Where are you going?

He looked back and said,

J: Yes, Sir. I'm going.

L: A-ano?

J: I'm getting out of your class. That's what you're going to say next, right? (mimicks) Get out of my class blah.

The class sit still. They watched and turned their heads from Sir Louie to Joao then to Sir Louie back again. Then suddenly, Sir Louie had his arms unfolded. He laughed,

L: Ilang beses ka na bang napapalabas, ha?

Then he motioned to Joao's seat.

L: Balik! Upo. (laughs)

"Grabe ang mga bata ngayon, ano", he muttered to himself. He smiled.

L: Listen, guys. I don't care if you go into my class, listen to my class... or do whatever you want to do in my class... Hindi ako ganoon klasing teacher. All I care about is that you pass your requirements ON TIME. I believe... after all, in order for you to write something good... in order for you to write a song, you must go out there. You watch the world... observe. You watch the people in it. Also, go out and experience things... Only then will you be able to write something. You cannot have that inspiration if you're just enclosed in these four walls... no. Are you getting this? Are you getting my point?