Chapter 30: The Lost Boy's World Crumbled

***
(Flashback: 17 years ago)

(on the phone)

D: Tessa! Pakiusap. Kailangan kong makausap si Melinda.

T: Pasensya ka na, Diana. Ayaw nang bumalik ni Melinda. Pinutol na niya lahat ng ugnayan sa pamilya!

D: Makinig ka, Tessa. Naghihingalo si Tiya Catalina. Inatake siya sa puso. Ang.. ang tanging hinahanap niya ay si Melinda. Ipagkakait mo ba sa kaniya, 'yon?

T: Pero kasi... si Melinda magagalit sa akin!

D: Pambihira, Tessa! Kahit sa huling sandali man lang, hindi mo pagbibigyan ang matanda?

T: Diana, lagpas na isang taon na ang lumipas. Siguradong ayaw na bumalik ni Melinda.

D: Tessa, pakiusap. Ngayon lang. Para sa huling pagkakataon?

(scene shifted)

Catalina lie asleep on her hospital bed. She was breathing through a channel of tubes. Her faint heartbeat snoozed in the monitor.

Suddenly, the door was blasted. And the twenty-two year old Melinda came rushing to her mother's bedside.

The young lady held her mother's hand tightly and then brought it gently to her face. She sobbed,

M: Ma! Ma! Gumising ka. Pakiusap. Narito na ako.

(scene shifted)

On a balcony overlooking the courtyard, Melinda breathe in the cold, fresh air. As her eyes gaze upon the moon playing hide-and-seek with the clouds, her thoughts drifted away.

She fell in love with this man. She has been promised an endless and deep love. She introduced him to her greatest treasure and wished that they will approve of her happy ending.

When her plan did not work, she ran away and left everything behind.
But she was never meant for a happy ending. Everything she loved slipped through her fingers. Because of her selfishness, she lost her father and her husband. And now, she is about to lose her mother. What else she could do? She had to make a choice, a sacrifice. Even if it means leaving her baby behind.

While immersed in her thoughts, she did not notice Diana joining her in the rails. The latter said to her,

D: Salamat at bumalik ka, Melinda. Maayos na ang kalagayan ng Tiya.

Melinda smiled serenely at her.

D: Kaunting pahinga lang at pagtuloy ng kaniyang gamot, manunumbalik na ang lakas niya.

Finally, Melinda spoke,

M: Diana, maraming salamat. Salamat kasi hindi mo pinabayaan si Mama. Nang mamatay si Papa at nawala sa amin ang bahay at ang lugar namin sa Alistair Village, sinagip mo siya.

D: Wala iyon. Pamilya tayo.

M: Kasalanan ko ito. Kasalanan ko lahat ng ito. Pinabayaan ko sila. Ang pagkamatay ni Papa... ang pagkawala ng Alistair Village... at ang pagkakasakit ni Mama. Naging makasarili ako. Hindi ko mapapatawad ang sarili ko kung may mangyayari pa....

Melinda's voice started to quiver. Diana noticed that her cousin is choking back a sob.

D: Tahan na, Melinda. Magiging maayos na ang lahat. Magsisimula tayong muli.

(scene shifted)

At the huge mahogany table, the Antolins were having breakfast. Diana emerged from the kitchen, bringing a platter with her and setting it on the table. She announced,