Chapter 27: Capture the Frog. I mean Flag!

N: Russ?! Ikaw ba naandyan? Labas ka na dali!

Niel knocked furiously at the bathroom door. It was six thirty in the morning and when he woke up earlier, he found that Russell was no longer at his side.

He then felt a twist in his stomach and realized he needed to go the bathroom. But he was bummed to find it locked. He figured that Russell may have gone to take his early morning shower.

It has been nearly an hour, but no one was coming out. It made sense that the room was empty. But the sound of water splashing on the tiled floor led Niel to think that someone was inside.

Niel knocked again,

N: Russ! 'Di ko na kayang pigilan. Lalabas na!

He said, twisting his legs. Beads of sweat already forming on his forehead. He yelled,

N: Russ! Dalian mo na! Bilis!

R: Hey, bro!

Suddenly, a random person walked up to him. Niel replied casually,

N: Hey.

He stopped. It was Russell who greeted him.

N: Si-sino ka?

R: What?

N: Ba-ba-ba-ba't nandito ka? 'Di ba ikaw nasa loob?

Niel stammered. His face was white. Russell responded,

R: No, man. I figured that a lot of people will be coming this hour. (glances at the forming queue behind Niel) So, I got up really early this morning to take a bath. And now, I am having breakfast. This is my third plate of pancake, actually. Do you want one?

He offered a plate to Niel.

N: Hinde! A-ayoko! Teka, kung-kung hindi ikaw, sino nasa loob?

Niel looked at the door desperately. After a second, it opened.

T: Ahhhhh! Freshness!

It was Tristan. He emerged with a bath towel wrapped on his head. He greeted the two with a flashy smile,

T: Uy, Niel! Russ! Hello! Oh? Mukhang masarap 'yan ah. Penge.

He took a pancake from Russell's plate.

R: It's really good, isn't it?

Russell asked excitedly. Tristan nodded.

N: Tristan, alam mo ba kung gaano ka na katagal? Magdadalawang oras na ata akong naghihintay dito.

Niel scolded. His eyes glaring at Tristan. But the latter seemed rather pleased,

T: Talaga? Ang bilis ko pala. Akala ko tatlong oras na ako nasa loob eh. Hmmm, improving.

Niel looked at him incredulously.

N: AHHH! Alis ka na nga diyan!

He shoved Tristan away and locked himself behind the door.

***

Sue placed a plate heaping with pancakes and butter at Joao's mat. She said,

S: Here's yours.

J: Thanks.

Sue smiled at him. On the other side of the table, Alora was saying,

A: Alam ninyo ba ang laki ng bubuyog na kumagat sa akin? Ganito kalaki oh. Grabe lang, ay. Nag-lotion naman ako.

The others shook their heads at her. All of a sudden, Ford passed by their table. Sue called,

S: Uy, Ford! Halika rito.