Chapter 7: The Auditions

Lopez Art School is in a festive mood. Posters and school flags are scattered all over the place. But the entrance to the auditorium was probably the busiest. Two huge speakers were placed at the right side of the doors. Classical songs blared from them. There was also a big screen, placed near the speakers. It flashed a live broadcast from the happenings inside the auditorium. Apparently, people were not allowed to go inside unless their number was called, so they lined up outside the auditorium, further explaining why the entrance area was so crowded.

The people were all patient, excited, and nervous. Most of them are dressed in their best suit - nice dress, coat and tie, and smart casuals. They were also preparing. Some are having breathing exercises, are rehearsing lines, practicing moves and dancing techniques, and some are strumming their guitars.

Russell and Niel were surprised from what was in front of them. They did not expect this kind of setup. They were already amazed since the moment Ford had dropped them at the gates. The entire landscape of the school was picturesque. And now, they can't believe what they were seeing.

R: Niel... I... I love it here! Wow!

Russell had his eyes wide, taking in the scene. Niel, on the other hand, was shaking.

N: I'm nervous, Russ.

But Russell was not listening. He was too occupied.

R: This is exhilarating! I mean, I'm not even auditioning, but I love this setup. This is one legit audition! This is what I'm talking about!

He punched in the air. Then he continued,

R: I love the tension. I love watching the performances. I love --- NIEL!

He shouted as he turned around. He found Niel leaning at a tree. He was vomiting.

R: Niel, you okay? Oh, man. You're nervous.

N: No. I'm okay. Just... nervous.

He grabbed his chest.

R: Right. That's what I said. Here. Have some gum. It will help.

While they were at it, the speakers boomed, and a voice was saying, "Number 30 and 31, please enter the auditorium now. On the stage, Number 29. Dodd, Sue Anna."

The big screen showed a skinny girl probably aged 20 approaching the stage. Her hair was tied in a bun with curly hair dangling on both sides. She wore a simple shirt and tight pants. She grabbed the microphone and began to sing while strumming her guitar.

(Take a moment to hear Sue sing, y'all.)

"Passed." One of the judges exclaimed. Sue bowed as courtesy. She left the stage with a huge grin on her face.

Back at the entrance, Russell and Niel were clappping. Russell looked at Niel. He commented,

R: She's beautiful. She looks like a celebrity.

N: A-artista siya.

Niel said, still struggling to contain his nervousness.

R: What?

N: She an actress. Maybe she wanted to know how to sing. So she is here to study.

R: Ohhhh...Really? Well, she has potential. She only needs to work out on her breathing... and a little on her diction, perhaps.