Chapter 14: The DUFF

Though the glowering sun is high in the afternoon sky, freezing cold air swirls by at the auditorium that made the hairs of the students stood on ends. It is understandable if this is simply caused by the big air coolers placed inside the hollowed hall, but students knew why they all feel frozen - Dance Assessment. Teacher G. Now. HELP!

The class were dressed up real good as they obviously prepared for this task. In the past week, Teacher Georcelle asked them to group themselves into four, covering dance songs of their own selection. The challenge was, however, to use all the dance techniques she taught them in the whole month. She said the first monthly assessment was easy but of course, students would always think otherwise.

So, the students had to meet up every after school, practising their dance routines. These past two weeks have been busy enough. They were juggling their dance practices with vocal, composing, acting, and instrument lessons. Also, there was Sir Louie who was always bugging them of the revisions of their drafts. They ought to pass their final note sheets today actually (deadline is at 5 PM). A task they can only do so if they survive the three-hour dance assessment with Teacher G's harsh remarks.

Four groups have performed already, and Teacher G's only comment was that she thought they all looked like dancing in a Zumba. She was clearly not impressed, and it has been an hour since she smiled. She graded the past performers a daunting B minus. And she said she was already being generous.

Few minutes later, Teacher G called,

G: Next Group: Joao! Tony! Bjorn and Jayvee!

The four guys went up to the stage. They were already arranging themselves when Teacher G sighed.

G: Please, parang awa ninyo na. Give me a dance performance, my students. Or else, I will ask everyone to stand up at mag-Zumba na lang tayo. (turns to the class) Put yourself on fire. Set the floor on fire. I am giving you 3 minutes para magpasikat and yet you are not doing your best!

She went on.

G: Guys! Please! This is Dance. Feel it. Taasan ninyo energy nyo? Okay?!

The class responded.

C: OKAY!

G: Good! Let me just say, I am not feeling the energy. Don't make me feel disappointed. (sighs) Okay. Group 5. Joao and Tony, I'll be expecting a lot.

She eyed them. Joao confidently bowed at her.

J: Yes, Ma'am. (turns to a classmate) Hit it!

Joao ordered.

And Jealous by Chromeo blared on the speakers.

Joao, Tony, and the Mendoza twins moved gracefully and with swag. They all had that attitude when they danced. The whole class cheered. Girls in the audience stood up and cheered for either Joao and Tony. An unexpected somersault was delivered by Tony for the finale. The girls applauded even louder.

When they were done, they were all panting heavily. Joao was also brought down to his knees, unconsciously rubbing his injured ankle. Though it has been months, the body still remember the pain that was caused by his fall. Below the stage, Teacher G stood up and suddenly clapped her hands. Group 5's performance convinced her to bring back the smile on her face. The whole class joined in her applause.

G: Bravo! Bravo! Tony and Joao, I must say... I pressured you. And you carried that pressure well. You met my expectations. Congratulations. (turns to the twins) Bjorn and Jayvee, I gotta say, my men, hindi kayo nagpapahuli. Kaya ninyong makipagsabayan sa dalawang to. No doubt, ito pa lang ang performance na sumakto sa hinahanap ko. I'll give you an A plus.