Chapter 32: The Sudden Goodbye

The world was silent. The five were unable to hear what the hosts announced. It was, as if, their ears were covered with thick cotton balls. Only after Mr. Anderson handed them a silver trophy they realized what was happening. They were then ushered to take quick snaps from the line of photographers. Soon they were asked to step aside to give way to the champions.

Russell was staring into space. Joao was clapping, but he had a faraway look on his face. Ford was looking all crestfallen. He was also biting his lip to keep his tears from flowing. Niel had his head buried on Tristan's chest, sobbing. Tristan was gently rubbing Niel's back.

***

When AI and IA finally thanked everyone who came and bade goodbye, the audience began to dissipate. The five also found themselves retreating from the stage even if they saw the entire school coming up to the stage to congratulate them.

The group glided towards the backstage which was fairly empty except for a few technicians wrapping up all the equipment used in the competition. Joao was leading the group, strutting.

J: Should have practice more.

He muttered under his breath while pushing down the trophy into Niel's arms.

T: Hoy, guys. Hali kayo.

Tristan ordered. Everyone stopped and turned to look at him. When he got their attention, he said,

T: Kahit na hindi tayo nanalo, pasalamat pa rin tayo.

He took the trophy from Niel.

T: Second place? Isang malaking bagay na 'to.

He tried to smile, but nobody was convinced.

T: Sampung grupo sa iba't-ibang sulok ng NCR ang tinalo natin. Ang galing-galing kaya natin!

Niel nodded. Ford punched his shoulder. But Joao simply shook his head,

J: No, Tris.

The four looked at him.

J: Stop that. Stop compensating our loss. We sucked. There were times we weren't in sync. I also believe our choreography did not match the Eagle Warriors. Our choreography was lame. I'm sorry—

F: Joao, 'wag mong sisihin ang sarili mo.

Ford began.

J: No, it's true. Our dance acts are nothing compared to theirs!

N: Joao, ayos naman ang performance natin. Sadyang mas namangha lang siguro 'yung mga judges sa tambling-tambling.

Niel put in.

J: I knew that. If... If only we did not use the same formula in the Prelims... If only we prepared earlier... If only we took the rehearsals more seriously...

Joao lamented.

R: So, you're saying it is my fault?

Russell asked. Joao was taken aback,

J: What?

R: NO! That's... that's what you're trying to say, right? This. Is. My. Fault.

J: What are you talking about, Russ?

Suddenly, Alora, Sue, Loisa, and Kisses approached their group. They were in an upbeat mood, flashing big grins to congratulate their friends.

Sue was the first to blurt out,

S: Boys, congratulations! You did great!

K: Oo nga. Ang galing ninyo kanina. Na-enjoy naming lahat 'yung performance ninyo.