Chapter 25: The Confrontation

***Two days later***

Every student at LAS has big, dark circles under his or her eyes. Some had their arms padded with Salonpas and band aids. Others were wearing their most comfortable yet unfashionable clothes such as sweatpants. No one cared how they look. No one cared if they have eaten. All were anxious to practice and to prepare for the second monthly assessment.

Over the weekend, Niel, Russell, Ford, and Joao met up in the apartment to help each other out. Naturally, Niel and Ford teamed up for the duo performance for the Dance Assessment, while Joao paired up with Russell.

While doing his warm-ups, Russell said to Joao,

R: Hey, Joao? I think I can do that kick-duck-side step. It's difficult, but I think I can do it.

J: No, Russ. You look funny doing them. Let's just compromise.

Russell stopped. He ogled at Joao,

R: Dude, no. That step is amazing. It can guarantee us an awe from Teacher G. Besides, we must top the Dance Assessment. I mean, I need to defeat Sue. Remember?

Joao scoffed.

J: You're still doing that?

Russell nodded his head. He went back on his crunches.

R: Yup. I need to be the top student for the month. I can't lose to her. She's a novice.

J: Russ, she is already a celebrity.

Joao said, sitting down with him.

R: I know. But it's all just acting she did. This is different. When it comes to music or to performing arts, I am better.

Joao held up his arms in surrender.

J: Okay, Mr. Competitive. I ain't say anything more.

Then Joao dropped his voice.

J: Just so you know, I think you're competing with the wrong person. Niel's the one to beat. Don't you think?

That put Russell into a halt. He looked at Niel on the other room. He was busy doing a robotic dance with Ford.

Aside from Dance, Russell also helped Joao with the selection for Voice Assessment. Their task was to perform an original Kundiman song in which they can tweak a little, giving modern beats.

All the while, the boys have worked together pretty great except when Loisa's name is brought up. Ford frowns whenever he hears her name, remembering the misunderstanding few nights before. Joao, on the other hand, stares at Ford for a longer while than he supposed to.

***

It was Monday, and the first years have two assessments on their schedule. The second monthly Voices assessment was convening, and Russell was already championing the hearts of his audience...

Paraluman ng aking buhay
Nais kong mapakinggan
Na sabihin mo lamang
Na ako ay iyong mahal

Ang damdamin ng aking puso
Ay daglit mapaparam
Kahit na mamatay
Kung sa 'yong kandungan
Ay ligaya ko rin hirang

Kahit na mamatay
Kung sa 'yong kandungan
Ay ligaya ko rin hirang

His classmates clapped appreciatively. Alora put her hand on her chest, feeling so moved by Russell's performance. Ma'am Annie wears a big smile on her face.