Chapter 28: The Unexpected Challenge

S: Baliw ka ba, Joao?

Sue chided Joao while crossing her arms. The students are in a cirlce with Joao in the middle. He just uttered his plan of joining the streetdance competition.

K: Tama. Wala naman nga tayong practice eh.

Kisses joined in. Loisa snorted at her,

L: K, hindi practice. (glares at Joao) Choreography! Ni wala man lang tayong choreography!

Joao was grinning. He defended himself,

J: We don't need choreography. We can dance anyway we want! We're performing arts students. Dancing to any random song shouldn't be a problem.

He said, looking at his classmates one by one. Some were nodding their heads, while the others were just laughing at his idea.

J: Besides, we have learn a lot of techniques from Teacher Georcelle. We could do any of them.

Ford who was still unconvinced asked,

F: Ano ba talaga gusto mong makuha bakit gusto mo sumali sa streetdance?

J: Nothing. I just figured it would be fun! Come on, guys. Let's dance for fun! Yeah?

He looked at them like he was some puppy begging at its master. The rest glanced at one another.

***

Joao was bobbing his head. He traced his fingers in his rather tousled hair, expressing swag. And at the sound of his third finger-click, Allen and Miko rushed into his side.

Jealous by Chromeo started to play.

(Talk about a major throwback!)

The three stopped and bowed. When the next song began to play, Joao yelled at the top of his lungs,

J: James and Tony, wreak HAVOC!

All of a sudden, a spinning James and Tony landed on their feet in front of the three. They danced on a hiphop song. James rendered a backflip and was followed by Tony's cartwheeling.

The crowd ooohed and aaahhhed. And the three began following James and Tony's lead. They chopped and sliced. They bounced here and there. They have taken the energy to greater heights.

And then, the DJ flipped the tracks and The Eve by EXO played on the speakers. Ford, Russell, Niel, and Tristan joined the five at the middle.

Following the boys' show of some scalding hot moves, a silent wailed. And then, a marching sound was heard throughout the park, and the girls came  to the front in planks.