Chapter 13: The Battle of the Century

Ford, Russell, and Niel are walking their way to school. They were unable to hitch a ride at Ford's car because the gas went out last Saturday, and Ford has said that his car was parked at a friend's. So, just like before, they had their breakfast while walking. They needed to get out of their apartment early because they have to walk a mile to get to school.

While Russell was munching his toasted bread, he asked in random,

R: So, Ford. When are you going to tell us that you're courting Loisa?

Ford gave him a death glare.

F: Di ko alam, chismoso ka rin pala.

R: I'm just asking, bro. I mean, you like her, right? Or am I wrong? Hmm...

He stopped and stared at Ford.

R: You definitely like her. Wait, she was the girl you're referring to in your song, right?

Russell recalled the brawl they had last Friday night when they played Ford's song.

* * * (flashback) * * *

Niel was sitting in front of the piano, trying to do his first draft for his song. Sir Louie had instructed them to pass their drafts next week. Yes, it is true that it was just Friday, and he got seven more days, but this task wouldn't be definitely easy. It was just his first time composing.

"Kahit... i-sang ngiti lang..
Oh whoah... aking chinita...

A - G - G - G - C
Ha halik at yakap oh whoah"

R: Let me guess... the title of your song is Kisses, right?

Russell said out of nowhere. Niel jumped in shock. He quickly covered his note sheet with all his might.

N: Shoo, Russ! Don't spy! Why you spy?! Hindi to... pwede!

R: Spy? (laughs) No, silly. I am not spying. I'm just watching.

He sat next to Niel.

R: Do you need help?

N: You done? You have song already?

R: Yeah. Yeah. I'm just recycling a couple of songs I already made before. Songs which got me an A. Surely, I'll get another A plus for this one too. (winks) Here. Let me show you.

"Here are the moments
When I came so far to reach that star"

Niel widened his eyes, amazed.

N: What title?

R: I was thinking maybe... I Dream It. Does it sound good?

Niel nodded then looked at his own work.

N: This is fail. I don't know how to!

He went grumpy.

R: Hey, hey. It's okay. It's true. Composing is not easy. Just like what Sir Louie said, you need inspiration. Here.

He passed a note sheet. There are many lyrics and notes written all over. The handwriting is peculiarly familiar.

N: Kay Kuya Ford?

R: Yes. And I must say, I wonder how it sounds. Let's play it.

Russell began pressing the keys, following the notes Ford scribbled. Niel mouthed the lyrics, reading it like a poem.

"Oh... Whoah... Oh... Whoah...
Paano mo makikita, tunay kang minamahal
Paano mo malalaman, 'di biro ang nadarama
Alay ko'y pagmamahal, tapat, at wagas
Sana'y madama