Chapter 29: The Early Spring Break

***
(a week later)

O: Kumusta ang rehearsals ninyo for Middle Rounds?

Ogie inquired. He was at his desk, sitting across Joao, Russell, Niel, Ford, and Tristan who occupied the surrounding seats.

R: We're almost set, Sir Ogie. Well, except for the Original Composition round. Ford says he is still a little rusty.

Russell offered. Ogie's face lit up. He asked,

O: Ford?

F: O-opo. Hindi lang po makapag-isip ng maayos sa ngayon.

Ford replied, scratching his head.

O: Hmmm... do you need help? Pwede ako magtanong kay Sir Louie—-

F: Hindi na po. Hindi naman po kailangan. Baka, mamaya... makakapagsulat na ho ako.

O: Sige. Sige. I guess, you still have a lot of time naman, no?

Ogie looked at them one by one. Joao smiled and said dismissively,

J: We're less than two weeks away, Uncle. We can handle this.

O: Okay. Sabi mo eh. (raises hands in surrender) Anyway, last na. May dry run pala next week.

Ogie slipped a letter across the table.

T: Dry run?

Tristan asked. Ogie explained,

O: Yup. Hindi naman kailangan na full performance. But, so you can estimate your blockings sa stage. At i-check yung instruments and microphones. Plus, you will get to meet your competitors.

T: Parang hindi naman po ginawa 'yun sa Prelims?

Ogie's hyped mood was quenched. His eyes became intense,

O: Coach, this is the Middle Rounds. It's bigger. It's one step away sa Final Round - Nationals. Magiging madugong labanan na.

The five blinked. After a couple seconds of stunned silence, Ogie let out a chuckle,

O: Don't worry. I am not pressuring you. Haha. But so you know, we will be there to support you. The whole school will be behind you and will be cheering for you no matter what.

Thinking that his words comforted the boys, Ogie grinned at them. The boys, however, felt a little queasy about the sudden learned weight of Middle Rounds.

***

(at the Studio 9A)

Russell was at the middle. He was holding up a microphone. Joao, Tristan, and Niel were grouped in the corner, studying their lyric sheets. Ford was cooped up in the farthest end of the room, scribbling on an unusually empty note sheet and fumbling through the keys of the piano.

Russell was trying to deliver his lines for a several times now. But he was having a hard time,

You don't have to be—

He heard his voice cracked. He then massaged his throat, complaining,

R: Damn it! I... I can't match Ford. My pipes are relenting.

Niel stood up from his seat,

N: Tama na muna 'yan, Russ. Kanina mo pa sinusubukan.

J: Right. Rest your voice, Russ. Kami na lang muna. Tris, Niel, gawin natin yung first song?

Joao agreed. Suddenly, Ford looked up.