Chapter 26: The Brothers' Fight

A: Sue! Teka! Teka lang. Ang... ang bilis mo namang tumakbo. (heaving) Hay, sandali lang!

Alora went running after Sue. They both left Ford at the place overseeing the open field. They swerved and ran, eventually winding towards the back of the Lopez Auditorium.

Alora panted to let off some steam. She leaned against the wall to catch her breath, saying,

A: Aray! Ang sakit ng puso ko. Nakakahingal. Ba't ka naman kasi tumakbo —? Oh?

Her eyes lingered at Sue who was crouching and was heavily whimpering. She was exhaling rapidly, desperate to keep herself from crying.

Alora freed herself from the wall. She approached Sue,

A: Ano 'yan? Sue? Sue, ano 'to?

Without looking up, Sue said,

S: Wa-wala. 'Wag mo 'kong... pa-pansinin.

Worry filled Alora's eyes. She crouched next to her,

A: Sueman.

S: (laughs) Wala lang 'to. A-ayos lang ako.

She tried for a smile but a tear rolled down on her cheek instead.

A: Hay, Sueman. Halika... Halika rito.

She spread her arms wide, engulfing Sue into a tight hug. The latter buried her face on Alora's shoulders.

S: Ba-bakit 'di ako makahinga? Ang... ang sikip sa dibdib. (laughs) Ha. Ang sikip sikip. Hi-hindi naman ako dapat ga-ganito.

Alora rocked Sue to comfort her. She whispered,

A: Shhh... 'Wag mo na pigilan. Iiyak mo na lang.

***

They are only a few centimeters away from each other's faces. Loisa can feel Joao's hot breath. Her heart raced. She didn't know what to do. She just closed her eyes and readied herself to let Joao take the lead.

But, while her world became dark, blurry images flashed in her mind. She remembered the first time she saw Ford. They were at the classroom then at the cafeteria, ordering fruit juices at a nearby stall. She also recalled how she felt when Ford was near her. He was then trying on his suit, and Loisa stood up next to him. Then her ears rang of Ford's laugh. His contagious laugh echoing in her mind. These memories prompted her to feel like Ford was near. She sensed that Ford knows where she was and what she was doing. She then fluttered her eyes open. Joao who was still leaning had his eyes closed.

Breaking her first kiss, Loisa asked,

L: Joao?

Joao abruptly stopped. He opened his eyes and saw Loisa pulling back.

L: Joao? So-sorry.

Joao sighed deeply. A sly smile crossed his lips. Loisa looked at him uncertainly.

L: Hi-hindi. Uhm, hindi...

J: I know.

Joao cut her off.

J: You like Ford. Not me.

L: Uy! Hindi naman sa ganoon, Joao. Hindi lang kasi talaga ako....

Loisa said defensively.

J: What?

Loisa took too long to respond. She took a breath and went on,

L: Joao, ganito kasi 'yan. Alam ko na... na nararamdaman mo 'to kasi tingin mo mabait ako sa 'yo. Pero kasi ganito...