Chapter 38: The Rumor

(Chicago, IL)

YM: Hey, what are you doing here all by yourself?

Yaya Maria asked as she settled on the porch next to Russell.

R: Hello, Yaya Maria.

Russell replied unenthusiastically. He also tried to avoid Maria's gaze. But the latter was persistent to make conversation. When she noticed Russell was holding a thin sheet of parchment, she asked again,

YM: What's that in your hand?

R: Oh, it's just Dad's letter.

Russell dismissed.

R: I found it on his desk. I found it the day after they were gone. He wasn't able to give it personally since I...

His voice trailed off. He sighed deeply and went on,

R: Since I refuse to come home with them.

YM: Can I?

Maria offered her hand. Russell immediately understood the gesture. He carefully passed the letter to her. As Maria skimmed through the words, Russell began to converse,

R: There are only four Roger Reyes in Chicago. Two were under ten years old. One was over sixty. And the last one who can possibly be my father was about forty years old. They told me he moved to Connecticut eighteen years ago.

He sighed deeply,

R: I'm tired looking. I just have to accept it. I can never have a family.

YM: Maybe you're looking in the wrong places. Maybe... you need to stop looking in the past.

R: What do you mean?

YM: Look. There's nothing wrong with finding your real mom and dad. But if you're going to just mope all day, feeling all this emptiness... Asusmariya! You will never be happy.

Maria rattled on,

YM: You have no family? Then, make one! You can treat your friends, Markus, your band, Fred and me like a real family.

R: But it's not the same.

YM: No. It will never be the same. But it's the best one you can get.

Maria declared. But as she gazed upon Russell who was still looking unconvinced, she added,

YM: Look. I think Ben also wants you to know that.

Russell raised his eyebrow in query,

YM: Can I read this aloud?

R: Go on.

Maria cleared her throat and began orating,

Dear Russell,

I know you're in great turmoil. You're disappointed and hurt. I don't mean to say that I understand what you're going through right now, but let me at least try to explain.

Melinda, your mom, has been with us as a housekeeper for almost a year. She was a caring, warm, and a sweet woman.

It is as clear as day that I still remember the day she had you. Imagine the love and delight in her eyes as she carried you in her arms. You were as small as a cookie.

For a time, we were all happy. You filled our home with joy. Melinda, Maria, and I took turns to play with you and to also make you fall asleep. I even remember how stubborn you were and the time you made this house shook with your crying. Melinda looked at me blankly... and when she passed you onto my arms, you stopped crying. We all turned to one another and laughed.