Chapter 21: Moves and Countermoves (Part 2)

M: Kuya! Kuya! Kuya Gab!

Miko clasped his brother's shoulder.

G: Oh, Miko. Anong meron? (turns to his friends) Sige. Mauna na kayo. Susunod ako.

Gab said to his friends who surrounded him. As they dissipated, he turned to his little brother,

G: Ano, Miko? Ang galing ko no?

He grinned. But Miko fumed,

M: Kuya! Akala ko bang yung Serye ang kakantahin ninyo? Sabi mo yun ang kakantahin mo, Kuya?

Gab was taken aback.

G: Miko? Anong meron? Bakit ka ba nagagalit sakin, ha?

Miko began to cry. He pounded his brother's shoulder.

M: Kuya! Bakit ka nagsinungaling sakin? (sobs) Bakit? Bakit yun ang ginamit ninyo?

Gab grabbed Miko's shoulders.

G: Miko! Umayos ka! Hindi ko naiintindihan.

M: Kuya...(whimpers) Kuya kasi eh.

G: Miko? Anong problema? Ha?

Miko stopped his sobbing. Taking one big gulp, he began telling his story,

M: Yung... yung kanta mo. Hi-hiniram ko ang kanta mo...

G: Kanta? Anong kanta?

M: Pa-pasensya na, Kuya. Hindi ko na kasi alam ang gagawin ko. Naprepressure na ako. Hin-hindi gusto ni Sir Louie ang mga ginagawa ko. Napag-iiwanan na ako sa klase, Kuya. Hindi ko na alam ang gagawin. Hi-hingi sana ako ng tulong... pero nakita ko... nakita ko ang kanta mo...

(flashback)

M: (knocks on the door) Kuya? Kuya. Kuya Gab? Naandyan ka ba?

Miko clicked on the doorknob, surprised to see that it was unlocked. He stepped on to his brother's room.

He sat on the bed. He stared at the walls. He then approached his brother's keyboard. His brother was a second year student at Salonga's Music School. He failed to pass at LAS Auditions that's why they never became schoolmates. But, ironically he thinks that his brother was much a better musician than he is. That's why he came to his room to ask for help in his composing. Sir Louie has been giving him lots of revisions, and the deadline is just the day after tomorrow. With all the other commitments to other subjects, he needed to finish making a song already.

He paced back and front. His brother was still nowhere. He called a few times, but no one was answering. And when he finally gave up and when he was just about to leave, he noticed something.

He approached his brother's desk. He saw a pile of notesheets his brother was working on. "Just a little guide," he reasoned. He scanned through them until one caught his eye.

(end of flashback)

With the truth dawning on his face, Gab held his brother even tighter.

G: Ninakaw mo ang kanta ko? At... inako mo? Paano? Paano mo nagawa to, Miko?

M: Kuya, sorry. Sorry di ko sinasadya. Sorry. Sorry.

Miko rubbed his palms together. Gab's face turned red.

M: Kuya, pasensya na. Ayoko lang bumagsak sa klase ko. Ayoko na mapahiya sa LAS. Alam mo naman sina Papa, pag nalaman nila...

Miko pleaded his brother. He began kneeling in front of him,

M: Kuya, please wag mo sabihin kina Papa.

Gab heaved a deep sigh.

G: Tayo! Tayo ka, Miko. Wag kang lumuhod. Tahan na.