Chapter 22: The Reconciliation

Joao had his hand on his head. His world was spinning. The flashes of cameras and the approaching sea of interviewers reminded him his bitter memories when he was still a celebrity in Macau.

He was making his way at the backstage. But he swayed as he walk, for his legs felt wobbly and his arms felt no strength. He was hoping he could escape, but the road he was taking seemed long. He was walking. No, he was running, he thought. The dressing room is at the left. No, it was a little further. He tried to blink his lightheadedness until a sudden bump jolted him back to his consciousness. A girl was throwing herself at him.

A: SHOWOOOOW! Congratulations! AHHHH! Ang galing ninyo! Ang galing ninyo!

J: Alora?

A: Ahhhh! Ang galing! Ang galing galing!

J: Ouch. My foot!

Alora lift her head to face Joao.

A: Ha?

J: I said you're stepping on my foot!

They both looked down.

A: Ay, sorry.

Alora broke free from the hug. Now that they both see each other clearly, Joao studied her face. Alora was crying and smiling at the same time.

J: You're really that happy, huh?

A: Syemps! Masaya ako para sa inyo, noh!

S: Malapit nang mapaos yan sa kakasigaw.

Sue said, emerging from the shadows. Apparently, she and the other girls followed Alora's trail.

K: Kuya Joao, congrats!

Kisses greeted him. Because he was not expecting it, Joao nearly jumped in surprise when Kisses gave him a hug.

L: Oy, Joao. Galing niyo! Congrats.

It was Loisa's turn. At the sight of her, Joao felt his cheeks became hot. Loisa inched closer to him and tiptoed to brush his hair. Joao held her arm.

J: Lady, I am not a dog.

He joked. Loisa smirked at him. Interrupting their moment, Alora asked,

A: Asan na yung iba? Bat ikaw lang? Nauna ka bumaba sa stage?

Joao's eyes flickered, remembering why he hurried to get off the stage.

J: Ah, oo. I...I had a headache. I--

Suddenly, a loud chorus of "Joao!" was heard from behind. It was the boys. Tristan was first to grab his shoulders.

T: San ka pumunta, ha? Bat iniwan mo kami?

F: Bakit umalis ka kaagad, Master J? May mabilisan pang interview pagkatapos eh.

R: You also missed the chance of taking a picture with this...this heavy trophy.

Russell said, holding up the trophy for everyone to see.

The girls tried to get their hands on it, mesmerized by its solid copper built.

R: I must say, I didn't expect we will win. After everything what happened earlier this evening, who would have thought? (laughs) Honest. But really. I think it is —-

The gang blinked at him because he stopped his blabbing all of a sudden.

S: It is what?

Sue encouraged.

N: Huy, Russ! Russ?

Niel nudged him in the ribs.

R: Brothers, I... I think I am in love.