Chapter 37: The Barrio Life

A: Aray ko! Ang sakit na ng mga paa ko! Bwiset!

Alora muttered as she threw her pink pump off her foot. It flew several meters away.

S: Sino ba naman kasi nagsabing mag-high heels ka eh dadalaw ka lang naman sa probinsya.

Sue put in as matter-of-factly.

A: Aba! Syempre, meet the parents. Meet the family. Dapat maganda ako, no!

Alora defended. She crouched to reach for her pump. Kisses let out a light laugh,

K: Alora, kanino bang pamilya ka nagpapaimpress? Sa mga magulang ba ni Niel? Eh 'to ngang si Loisa eh naka-rubber shoes lang pero ipapakilala siya mamaya kay Tita Laura.

L: Ano ba, Kisses? Ako na naman nakita mo!

Loisa blurted out as soon as she heard her name. Kisses just smiled.

A: Hay, sino ba naman kasi 'yung nagpababa sa 'tin, ha? Sino ba kasi yung nagsabi dun sa Taxi driver na 'yun na ang lugar nina Niel?!

L: Seryoso?! Ako na lang ba lagi nakikita ninyo? Atsaka, malay ko ba? Magkakamukha kasi mga lugar dito!

Loisa replied, scanning her surroundings. Everywhere she looked, the houses looked almost the same - unpainted small structures, towering fruit-bearing trees, and wooden picket fences.

Feeling the ache on her own toes as the four of them have been walking for what felt like a kilometer, Sue asked,

S: Eh Loisa, nasaan na nga ba kasi tayo talaga?

Loisa dug for her phone. She went on,

L: Sabi kasi ni Ford, diretso lang. Palatandaan ay yung malaking puno ng mangga na may banderita.

They all looked around.

K: Ah, aling puno? Ang dami namang puno ng mangga rito. Tapos may banderita naman lahat.

S: Ano pang sinabi ni Ford?

Sue said impatiently.

L: Sandali. Tawagin ko na lang nga siya. (fidgets on her keyboard) Ano ba 'yan! Teka! Wait. Ba't walang signal! AHHH!

Loisa tried to fling her hands in a eastward direction to reach for a single bar on her signal. But it was no luck. She twisted her body. Uninentionally, she bumped into her luggage and the latter rolled down the near bank.

L: Yung maleta ko!!!

Loisa bellowed as she scampered to reach for her luggage.

K: Loisa, mag-ingat ka! Baka mahulog ka!

Kisses warned. But it was too late. Loisa went deep in the pond. The girls hurried to her rescue.

S: Loisa, yung kamay mo! Abot mo! Dali! Akin na!

As Loisa tried to reach it, she accidentally pulled Sue towards her. The latter plunged in the water with her.

Alora cannot help but laugh a the top of her lungs. Annoyed, Sue pulled her towards her.

L: Kisses! Yung mga maleta!

Loisa alerted Kisses when the luggage began to lurch as Alora was pulled in the water. But the poor girl was not quick to feet, everything went downhill.

After her quick dive, Alora yelled when she finally can breathe,

A: AH, SUEMAN! BAKET?! INAANO BA KITA?

S: Tinawanan mo kami eh!

A: 'DI MO NAMAN AKO KAILANGANG HILAIN EH!!!!

Kisses who was the only one left dry began to inch away,