Chapter 44: In the End

(the next day)

(Macau, CHN)

D: I've seen you had a plenty of rest, JC.

Dr. Zhang remarked. Joao just smiled at him.

D: When was the last time you felt pain or throbbing?

J: I-I vaguely remember. Two-three months ago, I guess?

D: Hm.

Dr. Zhang returned to his table and scribbled on his notes. After a few moments, he looked up from spectacles and said,

D: Okay. You're good to go.

Joao was suprised. He cannot believe what he just heard.

J: What? That's it?

D: Your Mom asked me to check up on you so I can give you an all-clear. You're all-cleared.

J: So you're giving me permission to dance again? I can do my acrobats?

D: Yes. Your ankle's all well. I see no reason to stop you from performing again.

J: That's it?

The doctor tried to stop himself from laughing. He went out of his way and leaned on his table. Arms crossed, he said,

D: Hm-m. Why? Do you not like the results of your examination?

J: No.

Joao started. Upon seeing his doctor's reaction, he added quickly,

J: I mean, not that way. I just remember you telling me last time. Don't you recall? Last time you told me to stop my acrobatic moves or else... something inside me might break. That's why you also asked me to quit.

Dr. Zhang looked at him imploringly,

D: It is not your body nor your injury I'm referring to.

Joao was puzzled for a second. But then he realized what his doctor meant.

***

Joao was waiting by the hall. He tried to ensconce himself from other patients. Unfortunately, one fan recognized him at that instant.

S: JC! It's JC!

The fan began pointing at him to tell the others. Joao fervently shook his head. He adjusted his collar to cover his face and began walking away. At halfway, Mira suddenly popped in front of him,

M: Joao! Dr. Zhang gave you a medical clearance. We can finally resume your tour! Just... ah, need to process them with Anthony, of course.

She said excitedly.

M: That doctor, really! I thought he was some sort of a quack but he's a magician.

Joao grinned. It was easy to think that way given his doctor's strange antics.

J: Mom? I just remembered. Have you seen my phone? I cannot find it from my luggages yesterday.

M: Your phone? Oh, that's right.

Mira fished in her Dolce bag. Then, she slid a sleek piece of metal to Joao's hands.

M: Here it is.

J: Thanks.

Joao said casually. After fumbling through it, he noticed that something was off,

J: Mom? Where are my contacts?

M: Hm?

J: I... I just need to—- Wait, this phone is new!

M: Surprise! Got you the latest model. Do you like it?