Chapter 21: Moves and Countermoves (Part 1)

D-Day: Battle of the Century: Preliminary Rounds

H: Ladies and gentlemen, the Stray Boys of Manila! Wow. That was amazing, boys! Bravo! Bravo!

A wild applause came at the background. Russell, Niel, and Ford are at the dressing room, engrossed in a deep conversation. Only six groups left and they will take the stage, ready to perform their act they have been practicing for weeks. But something wrong is stirring among them. They all looked... sad and tensed.

R: I can't believe this is happening.

Russell shook his head. His arms were crossed.

N: Di... di ako makapaniwalang gagawin niya yun.

Niel said. His eyes beginning to water.

R: Maybe that's why he was so aloof. It was, as if, he does not really want to perform it with us.

N: Si Joao? Saan ba kasi siya pumunta? Bakit niya tayo iniwan?

Niel searched Russell and Ford. The latter just shrugged their shoulders.

F: Paano ba kasi? Bat nangyari sa 'tin to? Maayos naman ang naging pakikitungo natin sa kanya di ba? Lalo na kanina? Kahit late siya, hindi naman natin yun pinuna.

Ford lamented. Then he recalled the moments they had before. The day started out great. Everyone was excited. Everyone was thrilled. But here they are, facing the worst scenario any contestant can possibly think of. If they won't be able to solve this problem in time, then they will have to drop off from the competition.

(Flashback: 4 hours ago)

R: Ford! Ford, have you seen my jacket?

Russell asked Ford when he entered the kitchen. Ford, on the other hand, turned around with a piece of bread in his mouth.

F: (muffled) Ha? Di ko alam.

R: Sorry?

Ford swallowed his bread quickly.

F: Di ko alam. Natanong mo na si Niel?

R: The room's still locked. Di pah syah tepos magbihes.

Ford sighed. He stepped out from the kitchen and knocked on the door to their room.

F: (knocks) Niel? Niel? Tapos ka na? Madali na. Malelate tayo pag di ka pa lumabas diyan.

N: Sandali, Kuya!

Niel replied.

F: O sige. Nakita mo na lang ba jacket daw ni Russ? Di niya mahanap eh.

N: Ha, Kuya?

F: (sighs) Yung jacket ni Russ, nandyan?

Ford said patiently. Suddenly, Niel opened the door. He looked up at Ford with dreary eyes. By instinct, Ford asked him,

F: Bat ganyan mukha mo? Okay ka lang, Niel? Ang putla mo?

Niel blinked his eyes and shook his head tremendously.

N: Anong sinasabi mo, Kuya Ford? Okay lang ako no!

He hurried past Ford and went straight to Russell to give his jacket.

N: Oh. Yan ah. Iniwan mo kase.

Russell picked it up and when he was about to put it on, he said.

R: Niel? You okay?

N: Ha? Syimpre! Bakit ganyan kayo ni Kuya Ford? Ayos lang ako.

He thumped his chest.

R: You sure?