Chapter 35: The Reinforcements

G: Knees up! Allen! I said, UP! Taas mo 'yan.

Georcelle barked at Allen who was struggling in keeping his composure.

Batch 38 was having their dance class in that humid and lazy afternoon. They occupied ten columns and three rows while they all looked serious in copying their instructors' moves.

G: Elbow rotations, now. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8! 8,7,6,5, Miko, elbows, up! Okay, good! Tiptoe. Pivot! And turn! 1,2. 1,2,3. 1,2. 1,2,3!

The 4/4 song on the speakers stopped. Everyone slouched and gasped for air.

G: At rest!

The students stood still and brought their hands together like they were in the military. Georcelle went on,

G: Now, guys. This is what we call "The Routine". Kumpara sa previous ninyong choreo and tasks, hindi tayo sa freestyle dancing ngayon. You must adhere to these steps while adding your own flavor to it. (claps hands) So, for your third monthly assessment, you will be doing this... INDIVIDUALLY.

Everyone in the class whined.

G: Op! Op! I know. I know. Bago pa lang 'to sa inyo. I used to ask you to group yourselves or be in pairs, but I want it to be individual this time. Para masigurado ako na seryoso ninyong minememorize ang Routine.

Tony shot his arm in the air. He asked,

T: Pati po sa boys, Teacher G? Same lang po ang mga steps?

Georcelle looked surprise. She said,

G: Yes. Why? Dance is gender neutral. Walang panglalaki, walang pambabae.

T: Alam naman po namin 'yon. (laughs nervously) Pero parang nagmumukha po ata kaming sumasayaw ng ballet sa Swan Lake.

Everyone giggled. Georcelle crossed her arms, amused,

G: Hm. There's an idea.

The class looked at each other.

G: As you all know, in less than three weeks, LAS will be having its 15th Foundation Day. I am in no position to reveal this year's theme, pero... I believe that it has something to do with Broadway.

A loud murmur came among the crowd.

G: Silence! Okay. This time, I will be delaying my third monthly assessment due next week. I will take a pass. Instead, your task is to dance the routine at a special production number... (the class gasped) sa mismong auditorium... (gasps became louder) sa mismong Foundation Day.

The class broke out in a louder buzz.

G: And since we will be having visitors and outsiders as audience, syempre dapat kumpleto with costumes and all. And that means, the boys will get to wear tights.

Georcelle grinned mischievously. The boys groaned some more.

G: 'Di ko maintindihan why you'd ask na magkakaroon kayo ng ibang steps just because you're guys... men. (glances at Tony) Dancing is universal. It should be free. Free from prejudice... from expectations and norms.

Some nodded their heads.

G: Understood?! And with that, I say, lift your thighs and do sequence seven! Seven, NOW!

While she was barking about some moves, Niel whispered to Alora who was just a foot away from him,

N: Psst, Alora! Alora!

A: Ano?!

Alora snarled. She was busy shaking her shoulders before being interrupted.

N: Alam mo na ba sasabihin mo mamaya?