Chapter 6//

Song: Bowling Ball by Superchick

//

The next morning brings my second day at Arden Prep. I pull my uniform on, haphazardly throw my hair into a pony tail, and pick up my bag as I leave my room. Leo is flipping pancakes on the stove as I enter the kitchen. I take a seat on one of the bar stools at the island and stare over at him. 

"You know, you don't have to make me breakfast every morning. I can fend for myself." I tell him, resting my chin on my palm. 

He shrugs, "I leave not long after you, so I'm not just making breakfast for you." 

"Okay, well, thank you anyway." I tell him, perking up when he slides a plate of pancakes and sausage across the island to me. I smother the cakes in butter and syrup. 

Leo laughs as he stares at me, "You're so much like your mom."

My mood instantly turns sour. We don't talk about my parents much. When we do, it always seems to kill the mood. Leo lost his older sister that day two months ago and his brother-in-law. I had to remind myself that I wasn't the only one hurting. I had to tell myself I was lucky. Yeah, I might be in Witness Protection, but at least the Marshal assigned to my case was my very own uncl. It was a unique situation and I was happy for it. 

I clear my throat and look up at my uncle, "You miss her?" 

He nods with a sad smile, "Every single day." 

"Sometimes I forget that I'm not alone in this. I forget that you also lost your sister, I'm sorry." I tell him. 

"It's alright, Greer, you're allowed to be a little selfish." He tells me. "You know if you ever want to talk about what happened that night, I'm here right?" 

I would never do that to him. He doesn't need to know what exactly happened to his sister and brother-in-law that night. Besides, I don't think I could ever talk about it again. U.S. Marshals made me see a psychologist after the incident. I was forced to sit in a lounge chair for two hours a day for three weeks straight to basically relive that night. There were so many times I started screaming, crying, and begging them not to make me talk about it again. 

I nod, not sure what to say to him. I eat my food quickly in silence. Leo eats as well, avoiding eye contact. Talking about my parents makes us both feel awkward. 

I break the tension before it breaks us, "So, what did Adam's back ground check show?" 

Leo laughs, "He's as clean as a whistle." 

"I have good judge in character." I tell him. 

Leo looks down at his watch and curses, "You're about to be late." 

I shove one last link of sausage into my mouth before retrieving my car keys and back pack. I wave good bye to my uncle before stepping outside. I slide into my car and turn over the engine. My favorite band plays over the speakers.