Chapter 28.2//

Song: Home by Nickelback

Kale's POV

//

This week has been crappier than most. It started off with a call from my worthless father. He called once a month and each time I wasn't ready for it. I tricked myself into believing things would be different, but they never were. The call went the same way each time.

Him: "Hi, son. How are you?"

Me: "What do you want?"

Him: "Can't I just call to see how you are?"

Me: "You never have before."

Him: "Well, I'm trying to start things new this time."

Me: "I'm not signing the paper."

That's when things took a turn for the worse, just like always. Once I refused to sign his parole papers, he'd start cussing me out and saying what a worthless excuse for a son I am. That's when my anger would match his and we'd end up having a screaming match.

After that call, things had basically gone down hill from there. Greer Evans wanted nothing to do with me after seeing me with Olivia. Which, I don't blame her in the slightest. Olivia is everything I hate rolled into a mini skirt. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to meet her there in the diner. I thought she was serious when she called me up to say she wanted to talk about what she'd done. The thing is, I was never good at talking so I don't know why I agreed in the first place.

I used to like Olivia Connors. Her and I used to be a lot a like. We used to have things in common. We dated for close to two years up until last year. But for those two years, I'd been a shell of the person I used to be. I tricked myself into believing that I needed a girl like Olivia Connors to make me feel something again. The only thing I felt was anger when I finally woke up and realized the kind of person Olivia was turning me into.

Now, there's Greer Evans. She makes me feel different things then Olivia did. Everything in me screams for her when she's around and I want nothing more than to give into it. But I know I'm not good for a girl like her. She's too good, too nice. I'd ruin her with all the dark parts in me. I'd smother her light and corrupt her.

But here she is standing in my doorway with tears streaming down her cheeks. I'd done everything I could to push her away. She was better off with Bash. I knew it as well as she did. He was good for her.

The part of my heart that only Greer can effect starts kicking into overdrive. I have to take a deep breath to calm myself down. Having her here in the middle of the night, with tears running down her flushed cheeks, isn't good for my anger.

"Greer, what happened?" I'm trying to keep my voice from shaking, but I'm failing miserably.

"I don't want to talk about it." She sobs. "I don't want to talk at all."