Chapter 20//

Song: I won't back down by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

//

I think everyone around us can feel the tension that radiates off of Kaleb and me. We stand in silence staring at each other. My arms are crossed angrily over my chest. Bash stands beside me, staring at Kaleb as well. Things are about to get real awkward, real fast.

"What are you doing here?" I snap.

"Playing beer bong, what does it look like?" He says, leaning forward on the table. He sets up the cups to his liking and makes sure there's still alcohol in the cups. His friend stands beside him with a smirk on his lips.

"I meant at this party." I say, unmoving.

"It's kind of self-explanatory, don't you think." His eyes don't leave mine as he finishes setting up.

"Are you following me?"

"Don't flatter yourself, dork." He laughs.

"That's enough." Bash growls. "Let's just play."

Kaleb's eyes snap to Bash's, "Ready to be beaten, pretty-boy?"

"Bring it on." Bash challenges.

"Since my friend here seems to have forgotten his manners, my name's Tom." Kaleb's friend interjects. "Now, let's have a clean game."

I stare Kaleb down, barely bringing my attention away from him. Kaleb brings the ping-pong ball into his hands. "One rule, though."

"And what's that?" I ask.

"If we win, I get a few minutes alone with you." Kaleb says quickly.

The crowd around us lets out whoops and hollers. Tom laughs. Bash doesn't look too happy.

"We're not in junior high, Kaleb. We're not playing seven minutes in heaven." I scoff.

"We'll see when I when." Kaleb winks at me from across the table.

"And what do we get if we win?" I ask.

"Whatever you want, name it." Kaleb tells us.

"You leave Greer alone." Bash states in a warning tone.

Kaleb's eyes narrow on Bash. I can feel the heat of his glare from where I'm standing. There's an uncomfortable amount of silence around us before Kaleb agrees. He nods and leans forward to bounce the ball across the table. His eyes meet mine, "You're about to be drunk and you're about to lose, dork."

He lets the ball lose and it bounces across the table. It lands in a cup easily. "Ladies first." Tom laughs.

I take the cup from the table and gulp it down quickly.

It's Tom's turn next. He makes it easily as well, causing Bash to have to take the next drink. Bash takes the ball and takes his turn first. His ball misses and Kaleb laughs. The ball is tossed back to me. I aim at the first cup and let my ball bounce across the table. It lands in the cup.