Chapter 31//

Song: The crow and the butterfly by Shinedown

//

It's a bad day.

I know that as soon as I open my eyes the next morning. I know that as soon as I look at my phone and see the date. I quickly click off my phone and cover my head with my blanket. I know right away that I won't be going to school today. And knowing what day it is, Leo won't mind.

I sleep an hour more before Leo finally comes to check on me. He's taken the day off as well. He knocks on my door and doesn't wait for me to answer. I feel the bed dip as he takes a seat on my mattress. I still don't bring my head out from under my covers.

"I'm going out to pick up the cake." Leo says in a weak voice.

I give a groan in response.

"Are you planning to stay in bed all day?" He asks.

"Yeah, that's the plan." I answer.

"That's not what she would want, Greer. We should celebrate." He tells me.

I groan and finally peer out from under my covers. Leo looks like he hasn't slept in ages, which he probably hasn't. He gives me a small smile.

"I don't feel like celebrating, no offense." I say, staring up at the ceiling.

"I know it's hard, Greer, but this not what your mother would've wanted for you. She would've wanted you to live your life."

"I don't feel like I have a life without them." I cry.

He squeezes my arm reassuringly, "Believe me, I know, but you have to move on."

"Move on?" I scoff. "They were my parents. I can't just move on from them."

"Would your parents want you moping around like this?"

I know he's right, but I don't want to admit it. My parents would want me living my life like they were still alive. They wouldn't want me sad all the time. I should take Leo's advice and move on. I'll always remember them, but I was still alive.

He sighs, "Anyway, I just came in here to tell you about the cake. I'm picking it up soon. We can celebrate tonight." He gets to his feet and then walks across my room. "Come out whenever."

I stare after him as he exits my room. Once he's gone, I get out of my bed and cross my room. Sitting on the chair in the corner is a teddy bear. It's one of the only things I was allowed to take from my old life. The teddy bear's name was Barnaby. I've had it since I could remember. My parents gave it to me when I was just a baby.

I bring Barnaby close to my chest and squeeze him tight, "Happy birthday, mom."

Fat tears well down my cheeks. I lay in my bed, curled into a ball with Barnaby close to my heart, and sob for what seems like hours.