Chapter 10//

Song: Shut Up! by Simple Plan

Ps. I added a chapter after Chapter 7. So if you haven't seen it, please go back and read it ;)

//

If this was a fairy tale, this would be the point in the story where the heroin fights their mortal enemy. Remember how I told you that my story had found its villain? Right about now, Kaleb Nixon proves my point. The way he moves towards me with powerful, angry strides makes him look like the villain that I'd made him out to be. 

If I wasn't already backed against a tree, I'd move away from him. Kaleb Nixon has never scared me, I always felt this unwavering annoyance at the sight of him. Right now, I might be a little afraid of him. 

He places one hand on the trunk of the tree right by my face and cages me in. His face is so close to me. He really doesn't know what personal space is. His breath is laced with alcohol and I wonder if he drove himself here. I hadn't seen him inside at the party, but that doesn't mean he wasn't there. Olivia Connors house was gigantic and packed to the max. 

"I seem to remember coming to your house and telling you not to come tonight. Did that not happen?" He asks, more like demands. 

"It happened, but I remember telling you that you can't order me around." My voice is shaky, and I don't know how to stop it. 

"Look what happened, Greer!" He yells. 

"I could've handled that jerk!" I yell right back. 

"It didn't look like you were handling anything!" Kaleb looks like he's on the verge of losing it and I don't want to be around to witness it. "He had you alone, backed against a tree! He could've easily taken advantage of you and there would've been nothing you could do!"

I couldn't help but to compare the situation with Jason Peters to what's happening right now. The difference is, I hadn't been nearly as scared as I am at this moment. My hands are shaky and I have to fist them to keep them still. I'm sure Kaleb can hear my heart beating erratically as well. 

I finally find my nerve and reach up to push him away. He stumbles a few feet away from me and stares down at me with wide eyes. I want to prove him wrong. I want to show him that I am not the weak girl he thinks me to be. I'm no longer scared, just pissed off. 

"Why can't you just leave me alone, Kaleb?" I'm yelling louder now. I don't care if anyone back at the party can hear me or not. 

"If I would've left you alone tonight, something would've happened! You should be thanking me!" He flails his arms around in anger as he screams at me. 

"Thank you?" I scoff. "I didn't need you to save me!"

"I can't believe we're still arguing about this! Did you not see that I had to forcefully throw him away from you! And what were you doing? Cowering against a tree! I must be in hallucinating if that's not what happened." 

"I was getting ready to take care of him!" I defend. 

"Take care of him? He weighed like a hundred pounds heavier than you!" He rolls his eyes. "You're the delusional one." He crosses the space that's between us to stand in front of me again. "You need to stop being so hard headed and learn to thank me." 

I don't know what comes over me. One second, I'm staring up at him wanting to smack the look right off his face. The next, I'm kicking his foot out from beneath him and pinning my knees against his chest. Kaleb grunts in surprise as he realizes what just happened. 

"I did not need you to save me!" I growl in his face. I keep my knees pressed tight against his side and clench my fists tight in his shirt. Kaleb's mouth is wide open and his eyes dart across my face. I suddenly realize how close we are and push myself off of him. My skin still prickles with his nearness, and I hate it. 

Kaleb still lays with his back pressed against the ground. He stares up at me with the same shocked expression on his face. He doesn't say anything to me.

"Just leave me alone, Kaleb." I warned again as I left him lying there. 

I didn't look back as I made my way up the foot trail again. I crossed the back yard again and entered the party. When I stepped foot into the party, Adam was standing in the kitchen. He was chatting up the girl that had been working at the bowling alley. She was twirling her hair and shoved his shoulder as he laughed. I wanted nothing more than to be happy for him, but I couldn't get myself to feel anything by anger.

Adam noticed me a moment later, "Greer, there you are!" I watch him say goodbye to the girl before crossing the kitchen towards me. The girl doesn't look happy as she watches him leave her. A second later she disappears in the dancing bodies. "Where did you run off to? I looked everywhere!" 

"Sorry, I just needed some air." I pointed over my shoulder. 

"Are you alright?" He studies my face and realizes that something's wrong. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired." I shake my head, hoping I sound convincing. 

"Do you want me to take you home?" He asks. 

"I wouldn't want you to leave the party." I wave him off. 

"It's fine, this party was starting to get boring anyway." He informs me. 

I don't think that's quite true though. I'd seen him with the girl a minute ago. He looked like he was having fun. I didn't protest any further though, because I really wanted to go home. We make our way out of the house and towards the front door. Olivia stops us at the door though. 

"Leaving so soon?" She asks. Something flashes across her face and I think it might be anger. "Did you not have fun?" She's smirking now. Her voice is insinuating something. Suddenly, I realize that she knows what happened with Jason Peters. 

"The parties lame." I snap at her. Adam puts a soothing hand on my back and leads me past her. "Tell Jason that he needs to try harder next time."

She looks surprised at my words, but says nothing. I can see the gears turning in her head, before she quickly makes her way back into the party. I look over my shoulder as I step out of the house. Olivia is yelling at Jason Peters now. He's staring down at his feet, ashamed. I laugh and turn back to look at the streets. 

Adam opens the truck door for me and shuts it as I slide inside. Tonight, hadn't exactly gone the way I planned. 

"What was that about Jason Peters?" Adam asks as he starts the truck. 

"He was a jerk to me, but I took care of it." I told him. I'm not sure why I didn't tell Adam the truth. All I knew was that I didn't want anyone to know what happened between Kaleb Nixon and me. 

"Are you sure? I could talk to him for you." Adam asks. 

I laugh, "There's no need for that. Jason won't be a bother anymore."

Adam nods, "If you're sure." 

"I am, don't worry." I tell him with a smile. 

Kaleb Nixon had made sure of that. 

//