Chapter 26//

Song: Jealous by Labrinth

//

I'm dreading English class the moment I park my car in the school parking lot. I'm gripping my usual coffee cup in hand and staring at the front doors. I barely slept last night. My mind kept replaying the conversation I had with Kaleb Nixon. I kept seeing his face as Olivia Connors basically staked her claim on him. I don't know why it's bothering me so much.

My phone buzzes to life in my cup holder. I check the message and an involuntarily smile crosses my lips. It's Bash. He's asking if he can meet me for lunch today. I answer with a quick yes, hoping Bash can get my mind off Kaleb.

When I make it into English, Adam is waiting for me. He instantly says hello and starts talking about his project with his partner. I'm barely listening. My nerves are getting the best of me. I grip my project paper in my hands, mentally going over my lines. I hated public speaking.

Mr. Hammons walks into the classroom a few minutes later. He gives everyone a small smile before placing his things on his desk. He writes "Presentations" on the white board. My eyes snap to the clock, there's only a minute left before the bell rings and Kaleb is still not here. I roll my eyes. It's typical of him. Kaleb's never here anyway. What made me think he would show up to presentation day?

The bell rings. Mr. Hammons looks around the room and starts taking roll. He passes my name and gets to Kaleb's. "Nixon." Mr. Hammons says out loud with out looking up from his clip board. "Kale?"

"Here." Kaleb strolls into the room just then. For the first time since I've met him, he's not wearing his leather jacket. His hair, that's usually styled in a careless way, looks like he just rolled out of bed. There's dark bags under his eyes that look like he hasn't slept in days.

"Just in time, Kale." Mr. Hammons sighs.

Kaleb nods and then makes his way to his desk with his head down. He doesn't even look at me as he sinks into his seat. He puts his head to his desk and closes his eyes. I can't peel my eyes away from him. I suddenly want to ask him what's wrong.

"Alright, kids, you know what today is. So, who wants to volunteer to go first?" Mr. Hammons leans back in his seat and his eyes cross the room. No one raises their hands. "Come on, someone volunteer before I pick random groups to go."

A moment later two people in the front stand to their feet. The girl is small and looks more nervous than I feel. Her partner is a boy that towers over her and gives everyone sitting a charming smile. They quickly burst into their poem, the boy louder than the girl. After they finish up, several more groups volunteer to go. Adam and his partner finish as well. I look to Kale, who looks like he's asleep.

After everyone that wants to volunteer goes, Mr. Hammons starts calling the remaining groups. When there's only three groups left, Kaleb and I are called. Kaleb's head snaps up from his desk. He rubs a hand over his face and stands up.