Chapter 27//

Song: 4 am by Daughtry

//

"I don't want to be the kind of person that says you need to choose, Greer." Bash tells me, his eyes looking me over sadly. I can't believe this is happening. I hadn't tricked myself into believing that Bash and I were fine, that Kaleb wasn't an issue. I should've known that it couldn't last though. Nothing good ever lasts for too long in my life. "I don't think you know how you feel just yet. The thing is, I do. I want to be more than just this, Greer. But we can't be that until you figure out what ever is going on with Kale."

Tears trailed down my cheeks now. "I want that too, Bash, trust me I do. And maybe you're right, I don't exactly know how I feel. But I don't want to lose what we have."

He sighs, "I don't want to either. But I care and respect you too much to not let you figure things out first." He looks down at the pizza on the table. "Did you want to take this with you? I'm not really hungry anymore."

"I have to go back to class." I say softly.

"Right." He nods. "You should probably get back to class."

I nod and stand uneasily to my feet. I feel shaky and drained now. Bash leads me out of the restaurant silently. He walks me to my car and opens my door for me. When I slip inside, he stands outside a moment longer looking down on me. "I'm sorry, Greer."

"No, you don't need to be sorry, Bash." I tell him. "You're a great guy."

"I'll be here when you figure it out, you know that right?" He asks.

"Of course." I nod. "I've got to go."

"Bye, Greer." He tells me as he shuts my door.

I try to keep it together as I pull away from Bash. I don't want him to see me cry even more. I watch him in my rear-view mirror for a moment. He looks just as defeated as I feel. It takes me only a few minutes to make it back to school. I sit in my car few a more minutes, trying to calm my racing heart. I dry up the tears that are still streaming down my cheeks.

When I finally make it to my last classes of the day, I barely pay attention to what my teachers are saying. Adam tries to ask me what's wrong. but I tell him I don't want to talk about it. The day passes in a haze. Before I know it, I'm walking out of the building towards my car.

I don't wait around for Adam. I back quickly out of my parking spot and drive towards my house. I want nothing more than to roll up in my bed and forget today ever happened. Leo's truck is parked in the driveway when I pull up. When I enter the house, he's seated as always at the dining room table surrounded by files. His head snaps up to look at me and he gives me a smile. "How was school?"

"Great." I say, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

Leo notices, "Greer, what happened?"

"I broke up with my boyfriend." I tell him without thinking as I slip into my room. I'd told Leo I didn't have a boyfriend. I'd been honest about it too. I hadn't considered Bash my boyfriend until he was dumping me.