Chapter 4//

Song: Anything but ordinary by Avril Lavigne

//

My first day of school ended over an hour ago. In that time, I'd managed to complete my homework. I'm now standing in the back yard in workout clothes with my fists wrapped. Leo bounces in front of me, holding two pads for me to punch. 

"Combinations, let's go." He instructs and I dive into the work out we've done a hundred times already. "You're sloppy, Greer, pull your head out of the clouds." He smacks me lightly in the head with one of the pads. 

"Sorry." I say softly and pick up my speed. 

Another ten minutes fly by and Leo finally deems me okay to quit. My body aches from the vigorous work out. Leo's been training me nonstop since the incident. We've crammed enough karate and self-defense into the last few months for me to be able to handle myself if I was attacked. 

"How was your first day?" He asks as we pack up our gear that's scattered around the yard. 

I shrug, "it was fine." 

"Make any friends?" He asks. 

I think about Adam quickly, but I say nothing. Leo knows how I feel about the subject. 

"Greer, listen, just because of your unique situation, doesn't mean you have to stop living your life." He explains. 

I shove the pads I have in my hands in the duffle bag, "but it's not my life! Don't you get that?"

He sighs, "it's your life now. Whether you like it or not. You're Greer Evans now."

I'm afraid he's wrong.

"So, I'll ask again, have you made any friends?" He's using his authoritative tone, one he only uses during his tough cases at work. 

I clench my jaw tight and almost refuse to answer. I know it won't do any good though. My uncle is impervious to my attitudes. "Yeah, one. His name is Adam." 

"His?" Leo's eyebrows raise in question. 

"Yes, him." I counter, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Do you like this guy?" He's studying me carefully, no doubt using his years of interrogation experience to see if I'm lying or not. 

"Seriously, Leo, don't do this." 

"What?" He says in a sickly-sweet voice. 

"I just met him today." 

"So, that's a no?" 

"Knock it off." I shake my head. "I don't like him. If I did, I don't think I'd tell you." 

"Why not?" He sounds offended. 

"Because you'd probably run a back-ground check on him or something!" I flail my arms around in frustration. 

"Of course, I would! If you haven't forgotten, you're in Witness Protection! That means any one you hang out with has to be checked out!" He defends.