Chapter 23//

Song: Impossible (cover) by James Arthur

//

I'm quick to change the topic, "Where's Irene and Sofia?"

Kaleb stares at me a moment. I know he wants to say something about my sudden change in topic, but he doesn't. He hops off the counter and takes the empty plate from the island. "They're at church."

"Cool." I say with a smile.

"I wasn't sure if you do the church thing so I stayed home with you this morning." Kaleb says nervously.

"I used to. I haven't gone in a few months though." I gulp.

"Since your parents' deaths?" He questions.

I nod, but don't answer.

"That should make you want to go even more." Kaleb tells me.

"I know. It's just been a hectic couple of months." I tell him.

A moment later we hear the front door open and the pitter patter of running feet. Sofia comes running into the kitchen wearing a pink dress. She instantly sees Kaleb and hugs his knees. She starts talking in Italian, any even if I spoke the language I doubt I'd be able to keep up with her.

"Sofia, English." Irene warns her daughter as she comes into the kitchen as well. She looks beautiful. She has a sun dress on with a cardigan and her dark hair is braided down her back.

"Sorry, mamma." Sofia says with a laugh. She sees me next and comes running to where I'm sitting. "Geer!" I laugh at the way she pronounces my name, but don't correct her. "Are you here to play?"

"Sofia, leave Greer alone." Kaleb warns the little girl.

Sofia pouts and crosses her arms. I look to Kaleb and then back to the little girl. "Don't listen to him. I came to especially play with you, Sofia."

Her little face beams with excitement, "You did?"

"Of course!" I smile.

"Yay! We can play dolls!" Sofia grips my hand tight and pulls me off the bar stool. She leads me up the stairs and towards what I'm guessing is her bedroom. She pushes the door open and runs across the room to dig in a toy chest. Sofia's room is completely pink: from her bed spread, to her rug, to her curtains. Her name is painted over her bed in purple letters. It's a little girls dream room. "This is my favorite." Sofia says as she brings out a doll with tangled blonde hair. She pats the spot on the rug before her. I take a seat. She hands me another doll with long brown hair. "This is Toni."

"Hi, Toni." I say to the doll.

I don't know how long I sit in Sofia's room playing dolls with her. But sooner or later Irene comes up to tell Sofia that it's time for her to do some reading. Sofia whines for a minute before she tells me goodbye and takes off running into the hallway.