Chapter 12//

Song: Worst part of me by I Prevail

//

I take the last bite of my pie and push the plate away. Kaleb takes a finger and scoops up the bit of cherry filling left on his plate. He brings it to his mouth and licks it up. I watch him for a moment before I realize what I'm doing. 

I clear my throat, "Now that we've explained what it means. We have to write it in our own words." 

He groans, "So now we've rewritten it once, we have to do it twice?" 

I shrug, "Yeah, basically. It won't be hard." 

He scoops up the papers that I have in front of me and reads them over. "Can I see your pen?" He reaches out to grab it from my hand. I watch him start to scribble words onto the paper. His brow is creased in concentration. He's silent as he works, and this might be the first time that I actually like him. 

Until he opens his mouth again, "Try not to swoon." 

He shoves the paper back at me. I read the words he's written and try my best to mask the surprise on my face. What he's written is actually very good. They flow across the page and I find myself liking the way he wrote them better than Shakespeare did. 

I change a couple of words in his rewrite to make it sound better, but I don't have to do much. Once I'm done, I pass it back to him. "See, easy."

He reads it quickly, "We're going to have this project done way before the deadline."

"Yeah, which means it'll give us extra time to come up with the extra credit portion." I explain. 

He scoffs, "You want to do extra work?" 

"Don't you want to bring your grade up?" 

"My grade's fine." He counters. 

"We're doing the extra credit, Kaleb." I tell him. "I went to this seminar about being prepared for college last year and the guy said to always do extra credit." 

"You willingly went to a seminar about being ready for college?" He asks, his eyebrows arching. 

I shrug, "Yeah, it was very informative." 

He laughs, "Oh, wow, you are such a goody two-shoes." 

"I'm sorry for actually wanting to do well in life. I've got to get good grades to make it to college." I snap. 

"You're probably so rich that your daddy could pay off administration to just let you in." He assumes. 

My heart stops beating all together. My anger fades away to sadness. I'm at my feet in seconds. If I stay around any longer, I know I'll cry in front of him. I don't want him to see that. I don't want him to see any emotion from me at all.