Chapter 40//

Song: Waves by Dean Lewis

//

The rest of the weekend passes quickly. Kaleb left early Saturday morning, leaving me a note taped to my door as a goodbye. Leo arrived home only an hour or two after Kaleb left. He looked exhausted as always: bloodshot eyes and pale skin. He had a file shoved under his arm and I knew it had something to do with my case. I'd asked him to take a step back, but obviously he didn't listen.

Monday morning comes, bringing with it another glorious day of government approved torture. This mornings routine is different though. I actually take the time to make sure my uniform is looking sharp. I straighten my hair and do my makeup light. I even decide to wear my contacts instead of my glasses.

As soon as I step out of my room, I can smell the bacon frying on the stove. I smile as I step into the kitchen to see Leo reading a novel. His eyes are focused on the book in his hand while he absentmindedly pushing the bacon around.

"Hey." I say, taking a seat behind the island.

Leo's eyes snap up to mine, startled, "Oh, good morning, Greer. How'd you sleep?"

"Great." I nod.

"You look nice this morning, well nicer than usual." Leo notices. "Anyone you're trying to impress?"

"Just myself." I laugh.

"Okay." He nods and passes me a plate of food.

I clear my throat, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, anything."

"Do you have security cameras?"

Leo's eyes snap to mine and he stops eating, "Yes. Why? What's wrong, Greer?"

I shrug, "Nothing. I was just wondering."

He moves closer, "Greer, talk to me. What's wrong?"

It's the utter concern and fear in his voice that makes me come up with an answer, "I've just been getting these weird feelings, that's all. I'm probably just paranoid."

"What kind of weird feelings?" He asks, his eyebrows knitting together.

I gulp, "Just like this feeling of being watched, like I always have to look over my shoulder. Like I said, I'm being paranoid. It's probably nothing."

"It's not nothing, Greer. You have a right to be paranoid after all that's happened." He sighs, running a hand across his face. "I'll look over the tapes and up the security."

"Thanks, Leo. That would make me feel a lot better." I give him a small smile.

"I don't like you home a lone with you feeling this way. I'll bring my work home." He stands to his feet, crossing the kitchen to pour himself a cup of coffee.