Chapter 13//

Song: Differently by Cassie Davis

//

"Seriously, Greer, if you came to yell at me I really need you to leave." He says to me in a tired, defeated voice. I've never seen him like this and a part of me doesn't like it. The Kaleb Nixon I know is annoyingly cocky and always sports his famous smirk. This boy in front of me looks tired and broken. 

I had come to yell at him. I'd come to demand why he punched Jason Peters. I wanted to know why he skipped school. I wanted to yell at him for not being around for me to avoid him. Except now, looking into his tired eyes, I no longer wanted to yell at him. 

"I actually came to work on our project. I wanted to see if you had any ideas for the extra credit part." I told him. 

He sighs and runs a shaking hand over his face, "We're still on that?" 

"Yeah, I told you I always do extra credit. Besides, it helps with your grades." I explained. 

"And I told you I didn't need help with my grades." He snaps. 

"Really? Because you're barely in class. How can your grades be okay if you're not there?" I ask. 

"My grades are fine." He repeats. 

"Fine, I get it. You don't have to help with the extra credit, but we're doing it either way." I tell him. 

He groans and lets out a string of curses in the second language I hadn't known he spoke. "You're not going to leave this alone, are you?"

I shake my head, "Not a chance."

"Fine. I'll help you." 

"Great! We can start now." I say, pulling out the notebook I have stored away in my back pack. 

Kaleb doesn't look happy. His eyes skirt to his bedroom door and any moment I expect for him to kick me out. "Whatever, but we're not working in here. We can go into the den." 

"Why? This is fine." I shrug. "Do you not want me to see all of your things? A little too late for that." 

He stares at me with a frustrated expression, but doesn't give me an answer. 

"Do you have secrets in here that you don't want me to find?" My eyes skirt to his bed and then to his closet. "A dead body maybe? Another girl hiding in your closet?" 

"Would you shut up?" He snaps. I was mostly kidding, but I quickly shut my mouth. "I just can't concentrate with you in here sitting on my bed!" 

Silence breaks across the room as his words settle around us. Our silence isn't just tense anymore, Kaleb had officially made it awkward. I don't know how to react. I avert my gaze from him to look at the floor. 

He groans, "Let's just go, okay?" 

I nod and lead the way out of his room. Once in the hallway, Kaleb ushers me towards a set of closed French doors. He pushes them open and inside is a small den. There's a leather couch facing a big TV. A couple of game systems are store in the entertainment center. Board games and puzzles are piled high on a shelving unit. There's a box of kids toys in the corner.