Chapter 16//

Song: Hate Me by Blue October

//

"Please, don't." I say under my breath. 

Bash follows my eye line, spinning around to see Kaleb stalking towards us. One of his friends is right on his trail, a bright smile across his features. Bash turns back towards me, "One of your friends?"

I scoff, "Kaleb Nixon is not my friend." I sigh and run my hand over my face. "I'm going to apologize in advance for what he says."

Kaleb is two steps away from us now. His eyes haven't once left mine. He stops in front of our table and finally forces his intimidating eyes away from me. He studies Bash for a moment, a scowl set deep in his face. "Hey, partner." 

"What do you want, Kaleb?" I say angrily. 

"Can't a friend just say hi to another friend?" He muses. 

"I wouldn't really call us friends." I tell him. 

"Fine, project partners." He stares daggers into Bash, but Bash holds his ground. "Anyway, who's this?" 

"None of your business, Kaleb. Get lost." I snap. 

"That's not very nice." 

Bash looks between Kaleb and me for a long moment, "My name's Bash." 

Kaleb snickers and exchanges glances with his friend who stays silent behind him. "How do you know Greer, Bash?" 

A blush creeps across Bash's face. I instantly step in, "It's none of your business, Kaleb. Get lost." 

Kaleb stares down at me in contempt. Seconds tick by where neither of us speak. Bash sits awkwardly in his seat, his eyes staring between us two. He clears his throat to try and break through the silence. 

"Well, anyway, it was nice to meet you, Bash." Kaleb says in a frustrated voice. "See you around, partner." He turns back to his friend and then they both disappear out the front door, the bell chiming as they go. 

I let out a breath of relief as Kaleb leaves. "I'm really sorry you had to be here for that." 

Bash nods, "Did you guys date or something?"

My eyes snap to him, and a blush involuntarily works across my cheeks. "Kaleb and me? No way!" 

"I just assumed because of the way he was looking at me. Usually that's the way an ex-boyfriend looks." He explains. 

"No! We can't stand each other, trust me. We're forced together on an English project and we can't even have one civil conversation every time we're together." I groan.

He nods, but doesn't look convinced. "I don't think he hates you as much as he lets on."

"Excuse me?" I balk. "Kaleb is literally the most infuriating human being I've ever met! I'm pretty sure he feels the same way."