Chapter 14//

Song: Million eyes by Loic Nottet

//

I sit staring at the television in Kaleb's den, but I have no clue what I'm watching. My mind is somewhere else. It's replaying what Mr. Hammons said to me earlier and every moment with Kaleb after that. I don't know why, but I suddenly want to know more about him. I want to know his whole life, but he'd shut me down. I wouldn't tell him anything about my life, so why should he tell me something about his? 

When I look back over at Kaleb Nixon, his eyes are focused solely on the movie that plays on the screen. I notice how bloodshot they are and wonder when the last time he slept was. He reaches up and rubs his face, yawning as he does so. 

I suddenly realize what I'm doing and stand abruptly to my feet. Kaleb's eyes jump to mine. "I should really go." I say to him, staring at everything but him. Spending so much time with him was really starting to get to my head. 

"Really?" He asks, straightening up. "You have to stay for dinner. Irene won't let you leave without eating." 

"No, it's fine. I don't want to impose." I wave him off and head for the door. 

Kaleb is at his feet in seconds. He maneuvers around me and stops me from leaving. "You're acting like you have a choice, Greer. I'm telling you now that Irene won't let you out of this house without a bowl of spaghetti." 

I want to give in, because spaghetti just happens to be my favorite food, but I know I shouldn't. It's bad for me to be around someone like Kaleb Nixon for too long. He was getting to me, making me feel too comfortable. That couldn't happen. I could easily let my guard down around him and slip up on my cover story. That wouldn't just put me in danger. 

"I really can't." I insist. 

"Have somewhere else to be?" Something flashes across his face. I instantly realize that he's asking if I'm meeting someone else. 

"I'm actually late for a date." I lie. I want to see how he reacts. 

His jaw clenches, "a date?" 

I nod vigorously. "A college guy. Real muscular and real smart. He's very handsome." 

He studies my face for a moment, "you're lying." 

"Am not." I say defiantly. 

"You have a tell." He supplies. 

"Excuse me?" I balk. 

He reaches forward and presses his finger right between my eyes. My skin prickles. "Your forehead scrunches up right there when you lie." 

I touch the exact spot he just did, "it does not." 

He smirks lazily, "you're a bad liar, Greer." 

I scoff, if only he knew how wrong he was. 

"So, you don't have plans? Great." He laughs and then turns around to open the door. As soon as he does, I can hear the music streaming through the house. It's in Italian so I don't have any idea what the song is saying, but I like it anyway. Someone is singing, it must be Irene.