Chapter 21//

Song: Numb by Linkin Park

//

Bash takes a weary step forward, motioning for me to stay put. My heart is racing. He peeks his head into my house and then steps into the foyer. I watch as he disappears. The minutes trickle by feeling like an eternity.

I'm about to go in after Bash when he steps back onto my front porch. His face is filled with worry and concern. "Bash?"

He barely meets my eyes as he answers, "Who ever did it is long gone, but I don't think you should go in there, Greer."

"What? Why?" I ask frantically, trying to peer around him.

"It's not good." He says nervously, scratching the back of his neck. I try to push past him to get inside, but he stops me. "Greer, seriously, don't go in there. Call the cops."

"Bash, move!" I shove him aside and step into my house. My heart drops clear into the pit of my stomach. My house is trashed. The pictures that were once on the walls are smashed on the ground by my feet. The front table and coffee table are on their sides, their contents strewn about. The living room TV is missing. When I step further into the house, glass crunches under my foot. Tears stream down my face.

"I'm sorry." Bash says, putting a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"I need to call my uncle." My voice sounds far away and foreign.

"No, you need to call the cops." Bash instructs.

"You don't understand, I have to call my uncle first." I say nothing else before I pull out my phone and dial Leo's number.

He answers on the third ring, "Hey, I meant to call you earlier, sorry. It's been hectic here."

"Leo, you need to come home." I try to keep the panic out of my voice, but he hears it.

"Greer, what's wrong?" He sounds panicked as well.

"Someone broke into the house, Leo." I cry.

"What?" Something rumbles in the background as Leo yells. "Are you alone?"

"No, Leo, I'm with a friend. Bash checked the house before I went in. He said no one was here." I let out a shaky breath. "The place is trashed, Leo."

"I notified the police. They'll be there soon." I can hear the sound of his car starting up on the other end. "Are you okay?"

"I'm scared, Leo." I sob. Bash keeps quiet behind me, his eyes scouting the house, sadly.

"I know, Greer. I know. Just sit tight alright?" He says to me.

I nod and then say goodbye. I hang up the phone.

"Is he coming?" Bash asks me.

I nod, "He called the cops, too."