Chapter 18//

Song: Start of something good by Daughtry

//

I can't sleep. I toss and turn in bed for hours, unable to get my mind to shut off. When tossing and turning doesn't seem to work, I make my way down stairs for a glass of water. My eyes take in Kaleb, who still sleeps soundly on my couch. He's probably the reason why I can't sleep. I'm restless having him here in my house.

I prop myself up on the island, facing away from him. I hold the bottle of water tight in my hands. I don't know why I can't get the look in Kaleb's eyes out of my mind. Finding him on my front porch earlier flashes through my mind. He looked broken and scared. I can still picture the blood dripping down his face vividly. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath.

"Greer?"

I spin around quickly, almost dropping my water in the process. Kaleb is sitting up on the couch looking at me with big, confused eyes. He rubs his eyes and stands to his feet. He sways for a moment before he steadies himself. He crosses the living room and stops several feet away from me.

"What am I doing here? What happened?" His voice is raspy and filled with confusion.

I clear my throat, "You don't remember?"

He shakes his head, leans against the door frame, and rubs the back of his neck. "I just remember..." His eyes go wide as he trails off.

"Remember what?" I question.

"Forget it," He snaps, "I don't know why I'd come here."

"You showed up on my front porch bleeding and totally hammered." I explained, my fingers were still shaking. I hoped he couldn't see them.

"I'm sorry, it was a mistake." He tells me.

I don't know why, but his words hurt. I don't speak, because I don't trust myself.

"I'm going to leave." He tells me, and stumbles towards the door. He must not be completely sober yet.

"Kaleb, stop." I call after him, pushing myself off the bar stool. I grip his arm. "I called Irene already and told her you were staying here tonight. I thought you'd be out cold until the morning."

He spins to face me, "You called her?"

I nod, "She has your phone. I told you this earlier, but you were really drunk. I was out with Bash and she called me from your phone. She was frantic, Kaleb. She asked me if I'd seen you. She said that something had happened and you took off."

He closes his eyes and sighs, "I didn't want her to call you."

"I know." I release my hold on him and cross my arms over my chest. "But for some reason she thought you would show up here. I guess she was right. You're clearly not okay to drive yet, so you can stay on my couch still."