Chapter 46.2//

KALE'S POV

KALE'S POV

Song: Hold On by Chord Overstreet

Ps. Listen to this song and especially the lyrics. Literally goes so perfectly with this chapter. You'll understand.

//

Have you ever had a dream that felt real? Like you couldn't figure out if it actually happened or not? Like you opened your eyes and your heart was still pounding? You could recall every single detail down to the minute, but it had felt almost hazy?

That was happening to me right now.

I couldn't open my eyes, so I know I'm still dreaming. I can hear noise, but it's almost like static. I can't make it out, can't process it. I had a nightmare, I know that right away. I dreamt of Greer. I dreamt of her tears and her screams. I dreamt of her fear. God, it had felt so real.

I can't wake up though. I can't push myself out of the murky land between nightmares and real life. I wish I could. I need to call Greer. I need to make sure she's okay. The nightmare was too real, too vivid.

When had I fallen asleep?

The thought hits me suddenly. What was the last thing I could remember? My brain is swimming so it takes me a moment to think of a moment. I'd been at home. Irene had just walked through the door. She'd been smiling, a bright smile that I'd never seen before. The smile made me think of Greer so I tried calling her. She hadn't answered.

What happened next?

I'd driven to her house to find her. I must have fallen asleep in my car somewhere. I hadn't been sleeping well. I never sleep well. Not since the accident with my mother. Not since I watched her die.

A moment later, the static turns to actual noises, but they're not sounds that I can understand. It's crashes and sharp sounds. It's yells, but I can't hear their words. Something touches me, cold and not gentle. A groan escapes my lips, but I still can't open my eyes.

That's when the pain comes: pressing down on me from all sides. I try to pin-point where it's coming from, but it's like my body is one large wound. What happened? I search my brain for the memory.

Greer.

My nightmare hadn't been just a nightmare. Her terror had been real. Greer had really been standing in front of me, tied up and screaming. Who ever had tied Greer up must have knocked me out. That must be why I can't open my eyes and why everything hurt.

A concussion. That's what I had. I was no stranger to those. I'd picked enough fights to know what a concussion felt like, and this was a bad one. I groaned again, trying to force my eyes open. I needed to know where Greer was. I needed to find her. Through my muddled brain, I heard her voice.

She was sobbing, screaming, pleading. It made my heart constrict and my body ache more. I had to reach her. Finally, I peeled my eyes open. Everything was fuzzy at first and the lights were too bright. I closed them for a moment.