Chapter 42//

Song: In My Head by Peter Manos

//

I should've asked Kaleb where he planned to take me before I got dressed. I'd thrown on my casual marroon sundress, my black converse, and my favorite jean jacket. I brushed out my hair and touched up my make up. But I was not dressed up enough for where Kaleb Nixon brought us.

The restaurant was thirty minutes outside of town, so I'd never been there. When we pulled in, my eyes trailed over every expensive car that littered the parking lot. Kaleb pulled his car under an awning and two men in suits came up to us. One helped me open my door and offered his hand to help me out. I was too speechless to say anything. Kaleb spoke to the valet and then popped open his trunk. When I turned to look at him, he was shrugging on a suit jacket.

"Kaleb, I am not dressed for a place like this!" I said under my breath as the valet drove the Mustang away.

Kaleb snickered, "You're fine. It's a jacket and dress kinda place. You're wearing a dress and I have a jacket. Besides, you look beautiful to me."

"Don't try to charm me, Nixon." I snapped, crossing my arms over my chest. "You should've told me we were going here. I would've shaved my legs or something."

Kaleb's smile grows and his eyes flick down to my bare legs. "Would you shut up, Greer? You look beautiful, trust me."

Kaleb placed a reassuring hand on my lower back and led me into the restaurant. The door was pulled open for us. We stepped into an elegant, small atmosphere. Twinkling lights lined the walls and candles were placed on each table. The restaurant was crowded already and I couldn't see any open tables. There was a line of well-dressed couples waiting off to our rights as we stepped up to the host stand. A balding man was scribbling something down and his eyes didn't meet our right away.

"Wait here." Kaleb leaned down and whispered into my ear. He stepped away from me and adressed the host. They spoke in hushed whispers for a moment before the host disappeared. A few moments later an older man in an elegant suit came up to Kaleb. The man was smiling bright and instantly brought Kaleb into a hug. They dove into a conversation in Italian so I had no hopes of following along.

They didn't talk long before the man's eyes snapped to mine. Something Kaleb said made the older man laugh and then pat Kaleb on the back. A moment later, Kaleb walked back to where I was standing, followed by the older man.

"Greer, this is Ric. He owns this place." Kaleb introduced me. "Ric, this is Greer."

Ric goes straight in to hug me, and I awkwardly hug back. "Nice to meet you." He talks with a thick Italian accent. "So, you're the girl that Kale's been talking about."

My eyes snap to Kaleb's. He stands with his hands in his pockets and a smirk at his lips. He doesn't even react to Ric's words, like he doesn't care that they were said. "Yeah, I guess that's me." I laugh.