Let me disarm you

1 week later...

– It's looking good. We can take off the plaster, but you still can't strain your arm, nor your stomach. – the doctor said as he took the plaster off of my arm. I felt free again.

– Thank you. – I said before exiting the room.

I walked to Bill's room, where Tom was. For one whole week, Tom stayed in his brother's room for hours before going back home again. He barely talked, he barely ate anything at all. He cried every single night.

I walked into the room and he glanced at me.

– We should get going. – I said and he nodded.

– Let me just get a coffee. – he got up and walked out of the room and into the hallway where the coffee machine was.

We had to go home and get changed to attend Joan's funeral. I didn't know if I could take it, let alone Tom who was utterly destroyed and looking like he hadn't slept or eaten in days. He was thinner, his cheekbones were more visible than ever. And his eyes were tired. It broke me to see him like that.

I walked over to Bill's bed and sat there beside his body for a while. I grabbed his hand gently before kissing his forehead.

– He needs you. – I told him, even though I knew he couldn't hear me. I sighed.

I could feel Tom's eyes on me from outside the room. I looked at the room's window to confirm that he was indeed staring at me. I got up from Bill's bed, caressed his hair and then walked out of the room. Tom threw the plastic cup of coffee into the garbage and walked towards the elevator.

***

We arrived home and quickly changed our clothes into darker ones. Once I was ready I walked downstairs to notice how Tom was already waiting for me.

– You're not ready, are you? – he asked.

– I am. I just need my shoes. – I told him as I grabbed my heels from near the front door.

– Avery, I don't mean 'ready' like 'ready to go'. I meant it like 'ready for this'. You're not ready to show up there and watch it, are you? – he walked closer to me.

– I'm fine. – I ignored him as I sat down on a chair from the kitchen to put on my heels.

– We can stay home if you want. – the more he talked about it, the more I was sure it was the last thing I wanted to do. But it had to be done. I had to face reality. I had to go.

– I have to go. – I said, getting up once I was done putting on my heels.

– Okay... let's go. – he opened the door and walked to his car. I grabbed a bouquet of flowers I had for Joan and followed him into the car.

***

There were some friends of ours at the funeral, as well as Joan's family. It was a quick ceremony and once it ended Tom nearly dragged me out of there.

We were back home in an instant and once we stepped inside I took off my heels and my jacket. I needed to be alone again. But before I could walk upstairs I felt Tom's hand on my shoulder.

– Avery...

– Hm? – I looked at him as I tried to hold back some tears. He gently pulled me into a tight hug and I couldn't help but sob.

– It's okay. – I felt his hand stroking my hair. His words were enough to push me off the edge and I started crying against his chest desperately. – Just let it all out.

I could feel my legs weakening so I held on to him. Then I felt his arms wrap around my waist and he picked me up. I felt a relief on my legs as I cried against his shoulder and hid my face on his neck. He carried me upstairs to his bedroom and sat down on his bed, holding me against his body until I finally ceased crying. I took some deep breaths in order to calm down before I said anything else.