Threat & Trust

1 week later...

– Avery! – I heard Tom for the millionth time. It was the day of the trial. I hadn't slept through the whole night. My anxiety was at its peak. I got out of his bedroom and looked at him from the top of the stairs. He was waiting for me downstairs.

– I can't do this. – I shook my head from side to side. He frowned.

– You have to. Otherwise he'll get away unpunished.

– Tom, I can't. – I repeated. I watched as he walked up the stairs and grabbed my hand gently.

– I'll be by your side the whole time.

– What if it goes wrong? What if he goes free?

– I won't let him touch you. Avery you have to trust me. You don't have to be scared anymore. – I felt him caressing my hand.

– You're not my bodyguard, Tom. – I sighed.

– I know, but I have to protect you. You mean the world to me. Do you really think I would let anything bad happen to you again? – he frowned. I shook my head from side to side before I felt his lips kissing my forehead. – I love you.

– I know. – I rested my head against his chest and wrapped my arms around him as he stroked my hair and then my cheek. – I love you too. – I whispered before I took a deep breath.

– Come on. – he slowly removed my arms from around his torso and grabbed my hand. We walked downstairs and then into his car.

***

We arrived at the court and met with my lawyer who was already waiting for us outside.

– Where is he? – I looked around.

– He's already inside. I heard of what happened to Joan. My condolences. – she said and I nodded. – She was an important witness for your case. But we'll have to do with you and Tom only. – she sighed. – Let's go. – she walked through a corridor and we followed her until we reached the door of where the trial would take place.

I didn't want to go in. I didn't want him to see me. I didn't want to testify. I didn't want anyone to know what he did to me. I moved slightly closer to Tom and suddenly felt his hand on mine. My lawyer opened the door and we walked inside. I could already feel his eyes on me but I decided to avoid his gaze at all costs. I sat down beside my lawyer and Tom sat down on the seat behind us. The trial began.

Me and Tom were both called to testify and the rest was up to the jury. We stepped outside of the room while the jury decided on their verdict.

– I'm going to grab a coffee. Will you stay here? – Tom asked.

– I'll stay with her. – my lawyer told him. 

– Thanks. I'll be right back. – he said before walking away. I looked around and felt relief when I saw policemen at the door. Then all of my muscles stiffened when I saw James walking out of the room as well, accompanied by his lawyer. He laid his eyes on me and smirked.

– Excuse me. – I heard him say as he walked towards me slowly. I took some steps back in fear. My lawyer tried to stop him from coming near me but he pushed her. – I'll make your life miserable for what you're doing to me once I find you. – he whispered so no one else would hear him.

– Hey! Control your client, will you?! – my lawyer yelled at his lawyer immediately.

– Sir, you can't go near the victim. – a policeman grabbed him by his arm.

– Sure. I was just leaving. – he said and gave me a look. My heart was beating so fast I could swear it was about to jump right out of my chest.