Good Morning

Ed's POV

Tiredly, I trudged towards the kitchens, teenagers swarming all around me. Everyone was arriving today for the camp, they didn't look particularly friendly but you can't judge a book by its cover.

I was almost there when I bumped in to Carly: the camp organiser.

"Ed, you on your way to the kitchens?" She asked to which I nodded to. "Great, thanks for this."

"Anytime." I smiled.

"And I'll let it slide that you hit me in the face with a snowball." She smirked.

"Crap, that was you? Sorry." I apologised.

"I forgive you, only coz you're doing me a favour." She replied. "I better shoot though, in a rush."

"Alright, see you. And sorry again." I waved and walked off.

So it was Carly who I accidentally hit yesterday. It made sense. I was pretty surprised that she didn't go mad.

I pushed the kitchen door open expecting to see loads of catering staff, but no one was in sight.

"Hello?" I echoed through the room. "Anyone here?"

Louise burst through another door, mixing a bowl of something vigorously.

"Oh good morning, Ed." She quickly looked up to me and then back to her bowl.

"Mornin'. Where is everyone?" I asked.

"I sort of figured it out last night. Didn't you notice it was just you, me and Carlos here yesterday?" She looked at me.

"Yeah, and Carly. It was her I hit with a snowball." I informed her.

"Oh right." She lightly laughed whilst adding something to her mixture. "Well anyway, we were told to come a day early, right? All the cooking staff."

"Yeah, and all the teachers were supposed to come today but Carlos got here early."

"Exactly." Louise continued.

"What? I don't get it."

"If all the cooking staff came a day early and it was only you and I here, it means we are the only cooking staff."

"What?!" I watched as she poured the contents of the bowl in to a cake tin.

"I'm afraid so." She didn't seem too phased. She looked like she knew exactly what she was doing. I, on the other hand, did not.

"That's why Carly didn't get mad at me for throwing a snowball at her." I realised.

"Yeah, probably." She grinned. "So, Ed, please tell me you know how to cook."

"I know how to cook?" I asked. "Erm yeah..." I lied.

"You don't, do you?"

"Nope, not a clue." I admitted. "Unless you like beans on burnt toast that is."

"Then why are you working in the kitchens?"

"I was just doing a mate a favour." I explained.

"Hmm, well this is going to be tricky." She said whilst pouring the rest of her mixture in to another cake tin.

"I'm a fast learner and I'm sure you're a more than adequate teacher." I smiled at her.

"Well... I don't like to boast but I am pretty awesome." She modestly smirked.

"Prove it." I grinned.

"Alright. So we're going to make tomato soup, roast chicken and chips, then lemon drizzle cake for dessert. I've already made the cake and the chicken is marinating." She explained.