The Argument

Ed's POV

After about 5 minutes of random strangers congratulating me on my performance, I finally made my way back to Louise.

"So?" I smiled at her. I had just confessed my love to her through song.

"What?" She seemed in a daze. All the colour had drained from her face.

"The song?" I refreshed her memory. "You like it?"

"Uh, yeah." She didn't sound so convincing. Did that mean she didn't love me? Did I go over the top? Put too much pressure on her? Is that the only reason she mouthed 'I love you' back? Did she not mean it?

"Lou, are you okay?" I asked her, concern etched in my voice. The noise of the cafe still filled my ears.

"Um, it's really loud in here." She admitted.

"Oh, do you want to go?"

"Please." She nodded.

"Alright." I left the correct amount of money on the table and we made our way outside.

It was surprisingly hot outside however I noticed Louise shivering. Her eyes looked a little watery and her face was pale.

"Do you have a cold or something?" I asked her.

"What? No, I'm fine." She shook it off.

"Who was that on the phone?" I decided to ask her.

When my performance ended and people began to surround me, I noticed that Louise was on the phone.

"What? No one." She lied.

"Yeah there was. I saw you."

"Oh, erm..." She thought for a second. "It was just Lottie. She wanted to know how we were."

"Did she now?" I was definitely not convinced. Why was she lying to me?

"Mhmm." She nodded and I decided to let it slide.

For now.

We hailed a taxi and drove back to Jamal's apartment complex barely speaking to each other. This isn't exactly how I expected her to be after I just told her I loved her. I thought she'd be happy. Did I not make her happy..?

We went up the lift in silence and as soon as we got into the apartment, Louise ran straight to her room. What was up with her? Seriously. I thought she loved me too...

"You okay, Ed?" Jamal walked up from behind me.

"No, actually. I'm not." I frowned.

"Tell uncle Jamal all about it." He sat down on the sofa and patted the space next to him. After contemplating confiding in him for a few seconds, I gave in and sat down. "What's up?"

"It's Louise..."

"Trouble in paradise, ey?" He mocked.

"Yeah actually." I told him.

"What's wrong?" His voice was a mix of humour embedded with concern.

"I told her I loved her. Through song and everything and then she just gives me the cold shoulder for the rest of the day." I explained with a frown. "Like, was I too full on?"

"Here's an idea Edward, why don't you ask her?" He advised. "She might be unsure of her feelings right now and that's fine. It's normal. She just doesn't want to hurt your feelings. Just speak to her."

"And say what?"

"I dunno... "Did I go over the top?" or "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable." I dunno." Jamal shrugged.