e i g h t e e n

Annie pov: I think I might of pressed my call button a thousand times nurses came sprinting in my room from every direction. I felt awful but I really just needed to talk to brennan. "He's awake I need to talk to him you have to let me go talk to him he just had brain surgery he doesn't remember anything please" I pleaded tears streaming down my cracked dry skin. I'm sorry Annie you are too sick I can't let you go to the ICU there are too many infections that could kill you my nurse told me. "What if he came up here?" I suggested he can't he is too unstable she responded disappointing me yet again. I guess we are going to FaceTime then I said giving up. He picked up after the first ring
Annie? He asked with tears streaming down his face

A: hey Bren I'm right here I wish so badly I could be with you right now I'm so sorry.

B: Annie what's going on I don't know any of these people I'm really scared I need you

A: babe you had brain surgery cause your brain was swelling you just woke up those people standing around you are your family the blond curly haired women is your mom Jill the older dark haired man is your dad Mike and your sister katie is right here next to me.

B: oh...Annie I'm still really scared can you come visit me I need you. Badly

A: Bren I am here I'm upstairs but they won't let me come visit you and they won't bring you up to me. We are both too sick I'm sorry. I wish so badly I could be there to hold your hand

B: your sick...are you okay what happened stomach flu or something?

I looked up at my parents and over to katie and immediately started crying

B: hey hey ans I didn't mean to make you cry what is going on

My parents nodded

A: brennan I have cancer. I'm dying

At this point we were both balling on FaceTime together

B: I'm sorry I forgot

A: in no way is that your fault

B: Annie I-I don't feel very good

Just then his head fell back to his pillow

A: BREN, BREN, WAKE UP, COME ON

tears we pouring out of my eyes the call then disconnected. Katie looked me in the eyes I'm going to go see what's going on I'll text you the second I know. She ran out of the room and my parents were comforting me but I just kept looking at my phone for the text from katie. Minutes later my phone dinged I picked it up.

K: his body is shutting down. He is in a coma. His organs are failing. I'm so sorry Ans.

A: what now

K: bone marrow transplant it's our last hope.

A: oh ok. I really wish I could be there Kate I feel horrible.

K: I know Annie. We convinced Brennan's nurse she thinks it will be what is best for him if he shared a room with you is that ok?

A: absolutely I'm the happiest I've been.

They rolled brennan up to my room and I immediately locked my hands in his. "I love you B" I said while stroking his hand. The doctor then came in and talked us through what was about to happen

D: Bone marrow transplants are performed when a person's marrow isn't healthy enough to function properly. In the case it could save brennan's life however there are side effects which include a drop in blood pressure
a headache
nausea
pain
shortness of breath
chills
a fever
graft-versus-host disease (GVHD), which is a condition in which donor cells attack your body
graft failure, which occurs when transplanted cells don't begin producing new cells as planned
bleeding in the lungs, brain, and other parts of the body
cataracts, which is characterized by clouding in the lens of the eye
damage to vital organs
early menopause
anemia, which occurs when the body doesn't produce enough red blood cells
infections
nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting
mucositis, which is a condition that causes inflammation and soreness in the mouth, throat, and stomach.

The kind of transplant brennan needs is called an Allogeneic transplant. It involves the use of cells from a donor. The donor must be a close genetic match. Often, a compatible relative is the best choice, but genetic matches can also be found from a donor registry. We would like to test katie and ryan first as that is our best option. Bone marrow transplants take up to a week so you have to be patient During treatments, your immune system will be compromised, affecting its ability to fight infections. Therefore, you'll stay in a special section of the hospital that's reserved for people receiving bone marrow transplants. This reduces your risk of being exposed to anything that could cause an infection. During this time brennan will be moved into a different room but until then he is okay here with Annie. We will take either katie's or ryan's bone marrow a day or two before it is given to brennan they will be put under During a bone marrow harvest, cells are collected from both hipbones through a needle. During leukapheresis, either katie or ryan will be given five shots to help the stem cells move from the bone marrow and into the bloodstream. Blood is then drawn through an intravenous (IV) line, and a machine separates out the white blood cells that contain stem cells. As for brennan When your doctor thinks you're ready, you'll have the transplant. The procedure is similar to a blood transfusion.

If you're having an allogeneic transplant, bone marrow cells will be harvested from your donor a day or two before your procedure. If your own cells are being used, they'll be retrieved from the stem cell bank.

Cells are collected in two ways.

During a bone marrow harvest, cells are collected from both hipbones through a needle. You're under anesthesia for this procedure, meaning you'll be asleep and free of any pain.
During leukapheresis, a donor is given five shots to help the stem cells move from the bone marrow and into the bloodstream. Blood is then drawn through an intravenous (IV) line, and a machine separates out the white blood cells that contain stem cells.
As for brennan a port, will be installed on the upper right portion of his chest. This allows the fluid containing the new stem cells to flow directly into his heart. The stem cells then disperse throughout your body. They flow through his blood and into the bone marrow. They'll become established there and begin to grow. The port is left in place because the bone marrow transplant is done over several sessions for a few days. 
During this time, we will be closely monitoring him for any complications.
Katie we would prefer you as a donor as you are older and we would love to get started now so if you don't mind...
Oh ya ok surgery it is katie said looking at me. "Your amazing" I shouted down the hallway as she followed the doctor to another room.