Boxes and Squares (2)

__________________________________________

"You know that should be you right?" Y/n's roommate, Imani whispered as they both watched Woody flirt with his crush/soon-to-be-girlfriend, in their Performance Communication class.

"Girl..." Y/n responded in agreement. Imani was the only one who knew about her feelings for Woody. She constantly encouraged Y/n to tell him the truth but Y/n just couldn't bring herself to come right out and tell him. She was afraid of what he'd say. She did have one way though....

"Alright everybody listen up. I told you last month about the extra credit assignment that's worth 20 points. You had to sign up to perform at tonight's open mic night aaaaand....we have a couple of takers." Their professor addressed the lecture hall of about 50 students.

"Now, I won't say who our performers are so you'll just have to show up and see for yourselves." Y/n gulped down the lump of anxiety in her throat and glanced at Imani who was all smiles.

"Alright get outta here. Hope to see you tonight."

"Ya'll know who perfomin' tonight?" Woody asked once he and Kyra had caught up to Y/n and Imani as they walked through the quad.

"Nope." Y/n pursed her lips into a thin line as she glanced over at Woody who's arm was draped over Kyra's shoulder.

"I hope they're good,whoever it is. I'd hate for them to get booed like those dudes did last month." Kyra laughed. Y/n gave a fake smile and continued walking. It tore her up seeing him with her. She did nothing for him, except boost his ego. She was pretty; Y/n gave her that but she had nothing else to offer, compared to Y/n who just recently stopped helping him wash his clothes, and cooking for him. Y/n was Woody's tutor, counselor, confidant, financial manager and fashion consultant....but Kyra was sexy and she and Woody had "chemistry", so he said. It was a slap in the face to the one who loved him most. Yet, she didn't bother to cut back on her friendly duties. However, the sexual favors had ceased. No matter how much y/n wanted Woody, she wouldn't be a cheater.

The four of them walked and talked a few more minutes before parting ways. Y/n had to be perfect tonight.
------------
"You sure you wanna do this song tonight? I man it's gonna be in front of everybody. You think Woody won't know this shit's about him?" Imani nagged as they set up the stage. They were doing their last rehearsal, full out before the show started in 2 hours.

"Mani, this is the only way I feel comfortable doing it. You know I'm not me when I'm on stage, I'm Tank, and Tank is far more courageous than I am. I have to." Y/n confessed.
She and Imani had a band they called Tank and The Bangas. They started it up in their freshman year, with 4 of Imani's friend from the FAMU band,  and were still going strong. They'd played a couple of festivals around the state yet this was the most nerve wrecking performance  for Y/n. She'd be singing a song about her crush TO her crush. She almost kicked herself planning this but she knew she had to do it. She'd never get over it if she didn't.
Woody knew Y/n sang and he knew about her band but he hadn't been to many performances, lately. Y/n wrote all of the band's songs and their new material was all about him. She hadn't been ready for him to hear it until now.
They ran through their song , making some last minute changes then parted ways to get ready.
------------------------------------------------------------

Woody sat in the audience, next to Kyra, as he continuously checked his phone. He texted Y/n an hour ago to see if she would make it to the show but she never replied. He loves doing stuff like this with her and it just wouldn't be as fun without her. Sure, Kyra was with him but she couldn't crack jokes like Y/n did. Kyra didn't exactly get his sense of humor. He sighed and sank his into his seat, giving up on waiting once the lights in the auditorium dimmed.
---------------------------------------------------------

Y/n peeked out into the audience from backstage as the performer before they finished.
"Imani, I think I'm gon' throw up." She heaved.

"Why you bein' so dramatic?" Her friend replied, quickly stepping out of her way, just in case she  actually meant what she said.

"The worst thing that could happen is that Woody don't feel the same way you do. And guess what? It ain't the end of the world, baybeh. You'll be okay and you'll  find some new dick."
Imani preached to her, letting her New Orleans accent lace her words.
Y/n laughed and nodded in agreement.

"True but I don't want new dick, I want that one." She gestured towards the audience that held Woody.

"Ok so y'all just gon be nasty right before we gon on stage?"one of the band members, James,  teased.
Imani and Y/n playfully rolled their eyes before the curtains closed and they got into position.
This was the moment of truth.
Y/n took a few deep breaths as she heard the host of the show introduce them and the audience cheered. As son as the curtain went up, all of her anxiety left her. She was no longer Y/n. Tank instantly showed up to show out.

Woody bopped his head and danced in his seat as his friend set the stage on fire with her vocals. He was so proud of her, in this moment. He knew how shy she could be and seeing her on stage take on this completely confident persona had him excited. He was taking in ever lyric, certain that this new song would be one of his favorites.

"Miles away from mama's place abs I can't even be this boy's soup. Cause ain't nobody gonna love you like me....."
Woody bit his lip and knitted his eyebrows together as he continues to nod his head. He wonders who the song was about and before long, his wonderment became a a need to know.

--------------------------------------------------------
Y/n cheesed and waved excitedly as the audience cheered for them. She was on an ultimate high, knowing that everyone loved the song. The thought of what Woody felt about it crossed her mind but was short lived when Imani ran over to her and hugged.
"Girl! Ya singin'' ass. We did dat!" She exclaimed, turning around to the band and giving them a thumbs up.
The curtains closed in front of them, leaving them to bask in their accomplishment. Y/n hi-fives everyone then walked back to the curtain peeking out at the crowd that was now viable since the lights had been turned on for an intermission. She scanned the crowd trying to spot Woody but she couldn't find him. There were quite a few people leaving already, maybe he was one of them.

"Aww, babe. Look you did your thing. You put it out there. The ball is in his court now. Don't stress it. Tonight is a celebrate!" Imani hollered, wrapping her arms around her friend's shoulders. Y/n laughed and shook her off. She was eight. The only thing left to do was wait.

Music: Tank and the Bangas (check em out! They'll be in my city in a few weeks and I wanna goooo!)

Final chapter coming sooon! Son, I'm on a roll with this writing! Sadly, I go back to work tomorrow....😒 so I'm trying to pump out a couple more chapters to hold y'all over. Ain't I nice? Ain't I sweet? 😊 lol.

How y'all livin' though? Wassup? What's good?