Chapter 12

*Adam's P.O.V*

We spent the night in Tommy's room at the hospital, all four of us. I really hate the hospital. Amber and Ellie were both asleep cuddled up against eachother with black, mascara filled tears trailing down their faces. I sat awake, next to Tommy's bed. He's my best friend in the entire world. I was pissed at him for doing this to the girls, but I was also displeased with myself for not making sure he was okay when I had the chance. His arm twitched a little, making me jump. His eyes fluttered open slowly. "Tommy...I'm so sorry.." I whispered, hugging him. "W-What happened...?" He asked, confused. "You idiot, you drank too damn much." I replied with a slight laugh. He looked down at his hands, playing with his thumbs. "Why?" I asked him quietly, careful not to wake the girls. "I didn't mean to drink that much.. Just a little. I just wanted to forget for awhile." He said quietly. "I love those damn girls more than life, and I can't believe I let it go too far. I wasn't there for them when they needed me most." He was ashamed of himself, although he has no reason to be. Nobody noticed. Neither of us saw this coming. "Well you can't be there for them while you're cooped up in a little hospital room." He smiled a little. "Tommy, it's not your fault." He looked up at me. "We can't let this happen again.. We cant." He said. "And we won't." I reassured him. "Are you sure you're okay, Tommy?" "Yeah, I'll be fine. Won't be drinking again for awhile." He laughed a bit. I nodded at him, smiling. He began to fall asleep, and I let myself drift off too. 

***

I opened my eyes to see Amber and Ellie talking to Tommy excitedly. It made me smile, my best friend and my favorite little girls so excited to see each other. Tommy really does care about them, and the feelings are mutual. Ellie looked up at me with a huge smile on her face. I haven't seen her so happy in a long time, but her smile is just contagious. A nurse walked into the room looking down at her clipboard. "Alright, Thomas Ratliff..." "Call me Tommy" He corrected her, smiling. "Okay, Tommy. You're free to go as soon as you like. As long as you watch the alcohol intake..You should be just fine." She grinned, leaving the room. He looked up at me expectingly, wanting to go home as soon as possible. "Alright, alright. Let's go home." He jumped up out of his bed, falling a bit. Amber caught him just in time so he didn't fall. "Woah there.. take it easy." She said smiling up at him. Tommy laughed breathily and started walking slowly to the door of his room.

Amber held tight to his arm, partly to keep him from falling, and partly because she was scared for him. I know this episode with Tommy scared them both, it scared me too. But they were smart, and they knew I would take care of him. We walked out of the hospital and kept going to my car. Tommy sat up front by me, and a smiley Amber and Ellie sat in the backseat. All of the other kids were probably at school right now, I let Amber and El take a day off because of all that's happened.  "Okay, how about we go home for lunch and go out for dinner tonight?" I inquired, hoping to make up for the lost time together last night. They all nodded in agreement, but stayed silent. I turned on the radio so it wouldn't be too quiet. The girls were dancing in the backseat to the song that was playing, and Tommy was smiling to himself, looking down at his phone. After all that happened today, it truly was a good day. Or at least a good moment. And it was nice to have one of those after so long of being depressed. 

We were all okay, at least for now. 

A/N: Huge thanks to everyone who's been reading and commenting on this story, it means alot to both of us. Finally got a lighter chapter in, enjoy it while it lasts. Hahaha, I hope you all liked this chapter. -Elyse