Chapter 9

I had only been given a phone a few months before showing up in Plainwell so I hadn't exactly realized the consequences of 'dropping out of the world'. If I honestly had known that breaking my phone on Saturday would cause me a rush of pain Monday morning I would've thought twice about it. That morning I'd woken up and showered for the 15th time in the past 48 hours since seeing Zack again.

The wet hair left spots on my oversized grey sweatshirt and I didn't even give a goodbye to Jessie or Kevin, I just walked out that morning. Everything was so off. I drove. I drove for what felt like years but were only minutes until I pulled into what had turned into my usual parking spot. It didn't occur to me that I had been sitting quietly inside my car, not even a whispered melody came from the radio.

My friends crowded around the blue vehicle until I got out then I felt all of their questions and shouts hit me at once which sent me back to where I nearly fell over but only leaned up against my Baby. The loudness of my racing heartbeat, or breathing, must have triggered them because all of them suddenly quieted down and Nick's voice was the only one I heard next. He'd always seemed to take leadership over us even though he'd only been reunited a few days ago. I guess it's because he was always there and I just happened to be floating by. Like a balloon. . .

"Thank God you're okay, we were all so worried." I just scrunched up my eyebrows at his tall figure shadowing over me. "You didn't answer any of our calls or texts."

He pulled me into a hug and I snaked my arms around his waist. I wanted to stay there forever, in his strong, safe arms where no one could touch us. Those kinds of moments never lasted long, so we broke apart and Nick continued to stare at me for an answer. They all did. It made my brain pulsate. These people who I only knew for so long, depended on me for something and it made me sick. Makes sense why I never liked having friends.

"My phone broke." I explained plainly. My tone was as flat as a board.

The bell rang as soon as I'd finished speaking meaning we were all going to be late for our first period. Sass gripped tightly onto my forearm and dragged towards the school and passed our lockers. The green eyed, witch fingered, girl hauled my lifeless body all the way to our assigned seats in the back of Mr. Haack's class.

"You wanna tell me what's got you so spooked?" She questioned me.

"What do you mean, I'm fine." I scoffed with a smile that could only be seen with a microscope. She raised a single eyebrow. Sara reminded me of Mia more and more every day. "It's not something permanent. Just a little hiccup, trust me, I'll be back to my old self by the end of the day."

"Right." Sara was not convinced, but then again neither had Mia been before she found out what happened behind closed doors. I could only tell a friend so much before they'd disappear on me. "Well, today is our first official practice as on honorary members of the volleyball Varsity team. You psyched?"

"Duh! I get practice with you then an extra practice with Hunter."

"Are you nervous for Wednesday? I mean, have you ever performed in front of an audience before. I know you are hella amazing, but I don't know-"

"I've never had stage fright, Sass, if that's what you're asking. I guess," I shrugged. "I just don't find seeing all of those eyes on me as frightening. It actually does the opposite I think."

"Good, because a lot of people come to the Variety show. Basically the entire town." As Sara finished her sentence Mr. Haack clapped his hands from the front of the room and asked us if his teaching was interrupting our conversation, which nearly got me a detention because my friend had to keep me from giving him a sarcastic comment. We kept our words silent and to a minimum until class ended and we went to our next one.