Chapter 1

So I decided that I wanted to re-write this story because when I wrote it it made a big imprint on my heart. And now that I've gotten better with writing I'd like to polish it up and make it better, more detailed. So thanks, as always, for reading my book. One of my favorites, The Bad Boy Changed Me. 

~ Edited ~

Kindergarten. By the time you're a teenager you can't remember that first day, but you know that it was easy. You know you made friends and traded snacks. You begged the kid you called a loser not to tell the teacher and you always ran away from the opposite sex because 'cooties' were still a thing. As you grew up making friends became a challenge. Sometimes you had no one to trade your twinkie for a fruit roll-up. Recess was cut off and now 'cooties' were really a thing to be terrified of. And some of us, like me for example, move around a lot.

Foster parents are always changing and if you're aware of our current society then you know what I mean when I say that being the new high school student isn't exactly the best thing in the world. Kids are mean. I guess I just hope that Plainwell is different than the last town I stayed in.

Senior year, the last first day. My last new school before I can go away to college and stay planted for a while. It felt like a dream to even think about being in one place for more than a year, it's been so long since then.

My eyes glanced away from the odd stain on my ceiling when the front door slammed shut down stairs. Jessie and Kevin probably off to their jobs as chefs in downtown Plainwell, which means I should get up if I don't want to be late. Unless I want that to be my reputation here. At first, when ever I changed schools, I played this game where I'd be someone different. The nice girl, the nerd, the punk- I even picked up smoking for that one. I shook my head before tossing the icy blue comforter over my body.

The bathroom floor felt stone cold against my feet, so I walked back out and decided to get dressed first. The plain, royal blue v-neck seemed very ordinary so I threw it over my head and matched it with a pair of black denim shorts. I never liked sticking out, it wasn't my style. After I pulled on some socks I forced myself back into the attached bathroom. To follow my subtle look I only apply a layer of mascara and some eyeliner to my bottom waterline to make my eyes dark and sharp looking.

My chocolatey hair reached near my waistline when I straightened it, I always liked it that way. I found my black converse near my bedroom door and slipped into them. The pastel blue backpack Jessie bought me the day before sat on the floor and I threw it over my shoulder as I rushed down the stairs. My footsteps echoed throughout the house as I made my way to the kitchen. A bowl of muffins sat on the counter, blueberry. I snatched one and picked up the keys as I jogged out the door.

Kevin felt bad that I had worked so hard for my license and never had a car that he basically let me have his old one from when he was a teenager. Jessie said that he's had it for so long that it had become their child. Their story was a sad one. Jessie had so many miscarriages and Kevin had the affair, so they just decided to be foster parents and now here I was, sitting behind the wheel of Kevin Heel's 1969 iron blue camaro.

By this point, this being the 5th high school I've been to, I'd gotten used to the nervousness of not having friends on the first day or having a partner for a few weeks. I always promised myself to never overreact when I entered a new school, especially because I come in half-way through the school year. This time we're only three months into the first semester so I guess it wasn't that bad.

I park my car in the best parking spot I can find in what I notice as the senior parking lot. The moment I step out and began to walk towards the front doors of Plainwell High School, whispers erupted and whistles were pointed in my direction. It happened at every school, the typical "who's she?" and "Bro, cake." The schools and towns were different but all the guys were the same, assholes, I rolled my eyes as I made my way through the door.