Chapter 8

~Edited~

Megan

The drive back home had gone by in matters of seconds but had actually been more than it was supposed to be. I had been going so slow, a few cars even passed me. Kevin had already gone down to the restaurant but Jessie sat on the couch when I walked in. She saw me and jumped up instantly then I dropped my car keys in the tiny, fruit bowl that we kept on the kitchen counter, where we placed all of our keys.

"How was the party, hun?" She questioned and for some reason I just began to laugh. For minutes Jessie let me laugh like a complete maniac, she probably thought I'd finally cracked and that that was me breaking down. Then my foster mom rubbed my arm with a chuckle. "That good?"

"Oh yeah, definitely." I snorted through my giggles. The hospital nurse nodded her head then went back to her Friends marathon so I jogged for the attic as I somehow continued to laugh at myself.

I took a quick shower and I'd been so excited that I didn't linger at my body and the flaws that covered it, I couldn't stop smiling. Afterwards, I changed into some freshly clean clothes and did my makeup. Instead of blow drying my hair, I let it air-dry for a bit before brushing it back into a high pony.

As I went to grab my converse from the floor, my phone buzzed. I fished around for the singing phone until I found it on the bed tangled up in the sheets where I'd thrown it upon walking into the room. I didn't recognize the number and I don't know why I answered it, but something compelled me to pick up the phone and press it to my ear. My stomach plummeted down into my feet as the voice whispered into my ears. It was almost like he was there, and I could feel him breathing down my neck.

"Hey Princess." I felt him there beside me. His cynical, frozen, voice. It had to be right next to my left ear. I could feel his hand touch the soft skin of my ear where I'd pierced my own cartilage for my old bad girl image last year in Michigan. He was back and it made all of the tears drown my eyes till they spilt out. Overflowing the damn I'd prayed for so long not to break.

"No. . ." I croaked as the sob bubbled up my throat. My hand covered my mouth as I cried in the middle of my room. Everything burned and felt frigid at the same time.

"Oh darling, you know I don't believe in that silly word." I did know that, quite well. My head spun so fast I grabbed the foot of my bed to keep from crumbling as my knees weakened from underneath me. "I'll have you soon, Princess. Daddy loves you."

Reactions happened quicker than my thoughts. The phone went flying through the air and crashed into the wall, shattered to the floor as my own body did the same. My legs felt like they'd been blown off as everything else boiled out of me. All of the tears I had not cried in years came out, every sob I choked down overflowed. I didn't know what to do anymore. . . It was over. He'd found me and he was coming, which meant that he knew about my friends. He knew that I was happy and now he was ready to take it away from me.

"GOD DAMN IT!" I screamed a bloody war cry into the echoes of my attic bedroom. No one heard, no one ever did. My tears wavered slowly as I kept beating the wooden planks with my fists till I drew blood. I couldn't feel it. I couldn't feel anything.

I glanced at my broken phone. My friends would be waiting for me. . . so I stood up with a shaky breath and deadly dragged myself back to the freezing bathroom. The reflection never lied to me. I was ugly. Dead. I was dead.

After I cleaned my face then reapplied my makeup, I pinched my cheeks for color and threw on a smile to cheer myself. I bit my lip till I tasted metallic liquid then walked out of there before I could punch the girl in the mirror and her fake facade. It made me sick to look at her. Her boring, basic, brown eyes. And that idiotic grin where two small freckles resided on her lower lip. The permanent scar on her right eyebrow where she got that piercing. How the left cheek bone was slightly higher than the right one and that one nose. God, that nose on her smug face had looked like a pixie's nose. So small and 'adorable'. That girl made me want to kick her till she'd need a new face.